Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karvel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
England
On my MacBook, whilst I have many applications, it seems the focus is increasingly within my web browser. On the iPhone, however, the focus is on individual Apps, and less in the built-in Safari browser.

Maybe this is way off the mark, but does this remind anyone of the multimedia revolution of the 1990s? Whereby we bought multimedia CD-ROMs for everything, whether it was Grolier Encyclopedia, or DK Human Body, or Encarta, or Microsoft Dinosaurs etc. I know it was the Internet that saw the death of that approach to content, but it just seems to me that this kind of "discreteness" of content is part of the development of any platform - perhaps the iPhone will move away from discrete apps, just like the move away from discrete multimedia titles, towards the web-browser, just like what happened with PCs/Macs?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
On my MacBook, whilst I have many applications, it seems the focus is increasingly within my web browser. On the iPhone, however, the focus is on individual Apps, and less in the built-in Safari browser.

Maybe this is way off the mark, but does this remind anyone of the multimedia revolution of the 1990s? Whereby we bought multimedia CD-ROMs for everything, whether it was Grolier Encyclopedia, or DK Human Body, or Encarta, or Microsoft Dinosaurs etc. I know it was the Internet that saw the death of that approach to content, but it just seems to me that this kind of "discreteness" of content is part of the development of any platform - perhaps the iPhone will move away from discrete apps, just like the move away from discrete multimedia titles, towards the web-browser, just like what happened with PCs/Macs?

I think this picture describes exactly how much I do not understand what the hell the OP means.
LOLWUT_Pear.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.