will the front camera ever be useable for skype

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bearcats087, Jul 30, 2010.

1. bearcats087 macrumors member

bearcats087

do you think we will ever be able to use the front facing camera for skype calls even over wifi?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't see why not, the API is available on the SDK to be une on any app.

The real question is would they allow it to do videocalls over the AT&T network??? will they try to charge for it (Like they tried to charge for the 3G calls)??? my guess..is ...no they won't and yes they will try to charge for it.

3. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Well skype did announce that they weren't going to pay for 3G calling, but I can see them charging for 3G VIDEO calling, which would still be lame because it would still be skype-to-skype video calling.

But yeah I'm pretty sure skype on the iphone will eventually be able to use the front facing camera because, as stated, the API is available in the SDK.

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i really hope skype gets updated fast with this feature... fring already has it, so you can video chat with someone with an evo, but the quality is no where near that of facetime.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah this is why i said "try", they tried to charge for 3G and change theirs minds after all the bad PR and feedbacks, I am sure they will try it again.

Unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath, skype is known for very slow update process.

6. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

7. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

I certainly hope so. And in my opinion it shouldn't really be restricted to wifi only since the unlimited plans are grandfathered at this point.

8. KingHuds macrumors 6502

This was already added through fring before the whole skype debacle

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, I tried it.... it is useless for me, quality is just not good enough to actually keep a conversation.