Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I thought that if I bought a new MBP the genius bar would would transfer my old HD to it and make sure it was all good and running. Or is this part of the $99 "one to one" service?

theipadkid

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
I thought that if I bought a new MBP the genius bar would would transfer my old HD to it and make sure it was all good and running. Or is this part of the $99 "one to one" service?

if ur buying a new macbook then i think they should be able to.

its not hard to do it urself, as long as u have an external hard drive which is a must these days for backing ocmputers

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I do have an external WD drive and Time Machine. But when I tried to restore from time machine onto a new internal HDD a while back it got screwed up.

But, thanks. I guess this means I don't need the $99 service.

theipadkid

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
I do have an external WD drive and Time Machine. But when I tried to restore from time machine onto a new internal HDD a while back it got screwed up.

But, thanks. I guess this means I don't need the $99 service.

u dont have to use time machine

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
are you saying transfer the data on the drive or physically remove the new one and stick in your current one?

if your current HD is 2.5" SATA than ya just remove the new one and replace with your current

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
Yes, I'm pretty sure my current one is a 2.5" SATA. But it's 500 GB instead of 750 GB (although maybe smaller is better since it's not close to full?). And when I opened up my last MBP to put in the 500 GB drive, it didn't quite go back the way it started. I'd rather not open up and replace the HDD on a new machine if I don't have to.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
They will not do it for free.

One to one I believe includes the transfer from one computer to another. I don't think they do external Hard drive transfers.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Use an Ethernet Cable and Launch Migration Assistant on the old computer...once at the Transfer screen in Lion, plug in the ethernet cable to both machines....pretty simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.