Will the genuis bar still help me past a year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jps1012, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

My home button on my iphone 4 is not working great. Since I have my phone for over a year will the genius bar still help me? I have a warranty through squaretrade but rather go through apple if I could. Thanks!

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Whats the worst that could happen? They tell you no? ;)

Go in and ask. It really just depends on the genius you get and how nice you are but my experience with Apple has been excellent :)

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I doubt it since it is past it's year and you have an additional warranty through another company. It never hurts to ask, you have nothing to lose.

4. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Did You

Ever get asked if you wanted to extend your AppleCare beyond a year? Even if your just over a year, I think you'd be unlucky not to get help from them.

When I bought my iMac, I got a ridiculous discount on three years of AppleCare warranty cover. I wouldn't normally have gone for it, but it was a great deal and covers all my apple kit.

If you are polite, I think they will help, it's a pretty common fault because the hone button on iPhones, iPads etc. Gets a lot of use.

Hope you get it fixed! :)

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple iMac applecare is worth getting. I spent close to $2500 on my core i7 iMac. The AppleCare for iMac is dirt cheap (around $180 USD/$129 Student discount).

But Applecare for iPhone is around $69 USD for only one extra year warranty for a phone that will become outdated.

But to answer the OP's question. Yes, I've seen genius look at out of warranty Apple equipment all the time. However, since it's out of warranty, the best you can hope for is a $199 out of pocket/out of warranty exchange.

Maybe you get lucky and get a genius who will do a free one time exchange if there is something truly wrong with the phone.

But to cover yourself for square trade. Have genius print out what's wrong with the phone. That way, you can cover yourself if squaretrade wants to reject your warranty request. You can tell squaretradeApple recommended a replacement.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Have It So Good

In the US you guys really do get a great deal. My iMac cost me just over £2169.00 I think the dollar is around $1.63 at the moment, so you can see what we have to pay here in the UK. The deal I got on AppleCare was three years for my iMac, iPhone, ipad2 and ATV for £169.00. Well worth it, and I'm glad I did.

Apple kit is not really DIY repair friendly although I know people have done their own repairs...If it was a PC I would do it myself, but those days ( thank goodness) are gone.

I too know people who have had stuff fixed out of warranty date, and I have to say that all my experience with Apple has been very good indeed.:)

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not sure where on the island you are but the Manhasset store is much easier to deal with than Roosevelt Field. At least that's been my experience.

9. trouble747 macrumors 6502

Is it always $199.00? That was my understanding, though my friend recently had her out-of-warranty iPhone 3G replaced by at an Apple store for under a hundred (I can't remember the exact number she told me).

10. jz7410 macrumors member

They will replace for $79 for battery issues

11. trouble747 macrumors 6502

That must have been it.

Mine repeatedly crashes and I get the spinning white wheel in the center of the screen all the time. It also exits out to the lock screen unexpectedly for no particular reason.

"Battery issue"?

:cool:

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I think if they can see physical damage it's $199 (cracked screen etc) and if not, then the lower $79 rate.

13. trouble747 macrumors 6502

I see. Mine has that crack near the dock connector on the bottom, but that's common thing if I recall.

14. itsalexaye macrumors regular

The apple geniuses will always try to help you. now if theres nothing they can do then....

but they will do their best. They always help me, even after my warranty or apple care ran out.