Will the glass screen on the new macbook shatter easily?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by princealfie, Oct 14, 2008.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I worry that the glass screen and trackpad on the new macbooks could shatter. Is this a realistic expectation? Of course if you drop a macbook, I hope the glass doesn't break easily at all.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Most laptop parts break easily. Glass isn't resiliant to falls and collisions, so I would assume that it can break just as easily as a screen on an iPhone or iMac. If you'd avoid dropping it, the problem is averted.

3. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Protip:

Don't drop laptops, or anything that costs more than 50$.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Um, you could buy a few and do some testing and report back to us with the results.:D

5. mike... macrumors member

I hope so, because the first one of these Macbooks I see I'm going to punch in the ****ing face because they've been priced out of my rather small student budget.

6. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

I shouldn't think so. Glass can be made extremely strong - way beyond a human's ability to break.

All those glass sheets on skyscrapers are capable of having a car dropped onto them from several meters and they don't break. ('James May's 20th Century' tv show did just that a couple years ago).

Point impacts are more serious (a lot more energy concentrated into a smaller area), but unless you plan on dropping your open glass screen onto a sharp point from a fair height, you should be fine. It's like the glass on the iPhone - tough as nails.

But does it blend?

7. mike... macrumors member

Or shooting it?

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'd have thought there's more danger of something falling on the glass trackpad.