Will the grey mac os x install disc that came with my iMac work with my other iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bender644, Jan 5, 2011.

1. bender644 macrumors member

I could just try it, but I want to know if anyone's done it. Basically, is it possible to install Snow Leopard with the grey install disc that came with an iMac on another iMac that only came with Leopard? I know technically you have to pay for a licence, but will it work?

Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

They would likely need to be the exact same model and specs

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope. The OS disc that came with the computer will only work with computers of the same model (ex. discs from mid-2010 MacBook Pro will work with mid-2010 MacBook Pro). The only thing you can do with an OS disc from another computer is run the utilities.

5. psedog macrumors newbie

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

We definitely need a sticky on this - this question comes up at least once a day, sometimes more.

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I have a question
    So these grey disks have the complete installer just like the retail version, not specifically designed for a Mac? There is a hack you can do with the blacklists/whitelists to allow it to install on whatever you want, but will it install correctly?

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

They are designed for a Mac: the one that they came with.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

So the entire OS is specifically tweaked for the computer it was made for and has all the drivers and stuff for it? Or is it just like retail disk with a blacklist so you cannot use it with other macs and get free OS X? Because I saw a hack you do to the blacklists/whitelists to allow the installation on any mac you choose, and it worked, but would it always work? Or are there specific drivers designed for it's own Mac?