Will the hacking of the developer site alter beta 4 release date?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Campbellot, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Campbellot macrumors member

Campbellot

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I'd go with yes, who knows, maybe they wanted to release beta 4 on friday?

3. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Well no one technically said we are guaranteed a beta every 2 weeks. Only Apple knows the answer to your question. But I think it's unlikely the dev site will slow things down since an OTA can be done.

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'd say only if Beta 4 was scheduled to be released during the outage...which the majority of us know nothing about.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You will almost certainly NEVER know for sure.;)

6. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Based off of previous iOS betas, I thought the first three betas came out every two weeks, and betas 4+ came out every three weeks?

If that cadence holds for iOS 7, then beta 4 would come out in eight more days (Monday July 29th).

I can see this delaying distribution, but I'd be surprised if Apple's developers used this site and would be delayed from it being down.

Although this would be a great red herring for causing iOS to be delayed. lol

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

I think it'll depend on whether the same team working on the betas was working on the dev center and how close they were to "finishing" beta 4. Betas can still go out OTA so I don't see the big deal.

9. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Yes and No. the developers portal is where Apple would upload/post IOS 7 beta, Xcode...etc. fixing the servers security and such could take time. If the portal goes live tomorrow, 50% chance of Beta 4.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The dev team is separate from the team that maintains the developer center website.

Also, the beta 4 is still ready or not regardless of the website, and can be issued OTA.

11. sero323 macrumors regular

I really think if apple wanted to they could push the update OTA. If they decide not to that would show that the update was not ready or other security measures are being taken.

12. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

Apple might want to have all developers access to Beta 4, both OTA and from dev center, and since they can't do it, they might delay it. Unless, as said, dev center goes live in the following hours.

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Why would you think so? They probably have a dedicated group of people working on the web server side, which has nothing to do with the developers of iOS.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Because the developers of iOS use the web side to distribute the OS?

15. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

May not be true for OTA ... Full DMG , yes
    Here's hoping :)

16. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

So what?
    Apple's servers are not having problems, they're just reworking part of the back end, as they said. There are no problems in placing the iOS release on their servers, with a link to the files, or letting iOS 7 beta users update directly from their device. The outage will end when they want it to end, and it's in their interest to stick to their roadmap.

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Generally, you don't distribute millions of updates when your update mechanism is (partially) having problems - unless the update fixes said update problems.

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That's your opinion. Apple can distribute whatever they want however they like, and they have all the means to do it.
    Also, the "update mechanism" has no problems. They had, from what I've gathered, a problem related to non sanitized data passing through, presumably, their login or search system. They can open up again in a second, if they wish (and they want to stick to their roadmap, in my opinion), but are taking the opportunity to perform new implementations, as they state.
    The problem (or hacking) was fixable in a couple of minutes, that's how long it takes to fix an injection bug. However, they're working on probably something new, and they have full control on it. That is, they can get the system back online with a click.

19. LastZion macrumors 6502a

20. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Apple owes me a refund for my developer account since 26th June, and I called them up today and the agent told me about the intrusion and how things are held back and slowed down because of it. Every thing is off schedule. He says that the system is jammed with new activations and requested refunds and he says it would take a week to clear.

Make of that what you will, but I think beta 4 is delayed.

21. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

While true, some people prefer to restore as new rather than simply upgrading, in order to squash as many bugs as possible.

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Also bear in mind that a new version of Xcode normally accompanies a new iOS beta. The mechanism for distributing Xcode is the dev portal. They won't want developers (you know, the people who the beta is really for!) to have a mismatch of tooling.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Bingo.
    No wonder this thread seemed familiar.

24. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Probably not today ... but I would bet sometime between today and next monday for sure.