Will the highest (i7, 2.7 ghz) pro work for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Onewa80, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Onewa80 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. First off I'd like to say thanks for checking out/answering this thread because there's a billion threads with questions like "SHOULD I BUY THIS" "WILL THIS WORK" "WAS I SCAMMED" and stuff like that. Also if there is any reason to close this thread go ahead. So, thanks :p
    I'm getting a refurbed 13inch, current gen, i7 pro with 4 gigs and...... you know, I'll just post it from the page:

Processor 2.7 GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
    Cache 4MB shared L3 cache
    Memory 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 8GB
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5
    Hard disk drive1 500GB Serial ATA, 5400 rpm
    Optical drive 8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Wireless Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n specification)4 Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
    Expansion One Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps), one FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps), Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), one SDXC card slot
    Video and Audio FaceTime HD camera; Thunderbolt port with support for DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI (requires adapters, sold separately)

I am getting this pro to run some large software, like the current final cut(I don't care what everyone says, I love it), and other stuff, like CS5 Student/teacher edition.

I have heard many, many, many mixed answers, and I thought posting this on a forum would be good enough for a satisfying answer.

This is also just for personal stuff, and I'm planning to run Lion on it('Cause it has snow leopard currently).

Will this work for editing and portable work(I move around a bit)? And some gaming?(Very minor gaming, I'm only wanting Portal 2)

2. Lenas macrumors newbie

It'll work perfectly. I have the same model (upgraded to 8GB RAM) and I use the same software as you do. I actually sold my Alienware gaming desktop after buying the MBP, because it was no longer necessary. Portal 2 plays well maxed out :D

3. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

The pro is the way to go if you need performance, go ahead, don't be afraid to use CAD or photoshop to render 3D or even edit video on it! :D

It will handle like a boss :cool:
    I do recommend you invest in RAM if you plan to do such projects.

4. Onewa80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol, like a baws

Is there any way I can upgrade to 8 gb?

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Ys you just buy the computer the way it is and you buy new ram from Crucial or Newegg. Just make sure its DDR3 ram.

Here's how you upgrade:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270#link1

6. Onewa80 thread starter macrumors newbie

You just made my day. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah definitely don't buy it with upgraded RAM from Apple, their prices are ridiculous and it's very easy to do yourself.

8. Onewa80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way to upgrade the graphics?

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Nope.

10. Onewa80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that sucks. :(

11. colour macrumors regular

the graphics is the problem if you plan to game in the future or do any rendering opt for the 15" with dedicated cards.

i really push the 13 i7 with 8gb ram with cs5 cad and 3d apps it handles it well enough.

i installed Test Drive Unlimited 2 in bootcamp and it was unplayable cause the lag was bad, that was a let down.

its not a pro pro machine as the benchmarks will show but from my experience should do what you want, its not as future proof as the 15" though.

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

IMO you'd be better served with the entry 15" than i7 13"

Have not read other responses.

13. Onewa80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, other than the graphics, size and quad-core, what can the 15 inch do that the 13 inch can't? And is the quad core THAT much faster?

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

The quad-core is faster, and the 15'' also has more screen space with a better resolution as well as an anti-glare screen option if you feel like you may want then when working. I would go with an entry 15'' as well, it's a pretty sealed package given the quad-core processor and dedicated graphics.

15. colour macrumors regular

Well it depends how far you want to take your macbook pro, the 13" is an entry level pro but that is enough for most people. The graphics is the major downfall look at graphics benchmarks in the macbook pros and you will see that the 15-17 score almost double the 13" but thats only if your processing allot of 3D , most people dont.

My geek bench score was 7000 after lion thats roughly the highest you will see with the 13" i7 . The quads are closer to 10000 in graphics - look here

If you wanted to game, buy a pc aswell its just cheaper/easier/better, because you probably dont want to do that, the 15" is better than the 13" and more future proof. Personally i like the 13" size but know the 15" is a better machine for me in terms handling 3d/design/cad applications but im happy with an SSD you will be able to run everything smoothly and quickly!

16. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

it will rund great! :D
    but i really suggest the 15in with quad.
    That will change your life compared to the dual.

17. Onewa80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sigh... I dunno if I will go into 3D stuff. Plus I cant afford the 15 inch. :( Oh well