Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrerascott

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Would like to avoid the sales tax from ordering from Apple... anyone know if Amazon will sell the i7 version before long? Or is that upgrade going to be only sold through Apple for the time being?

Thanks!

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Yeah, this is making me really think. The tax situation here in Los Angeles is approaching 10%. If I buy off Amazon, I can actually get a small discount from the MSRP (only $5!), but mostly, NO TAX!!! BUT that means i5. If I want the i7, that's not only $200 extra. It's actually almost $500 extra. Is the i7 worth $500? I'm starting to re-think that. Anyhow, I'll wait until they are both out, and wait for benchmarked tests from reliable sites, and a lot of feedback from users. Only then will I decide if I want to pay $500 for the i7. That means sometime in January. So I definitely want a quad, it's just a question of i5 or i7 for $500 more... decisions, decisions...

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Would like to avoid the sales tax from ordering from Apple... anyone know if Amazon will sell the i7 version before long? Or is that upgrade going to be only sold through Apple for the time being?

Thanks!

Well, you could get a build to order from a third party like PowerMax. Since they are based in Oregon, they won't charge you sales tax (even if you're in CA). BUT, and this may be a huge problem, most (all?) third parties will NOT ACCEPT RETURNS ON CUSTOM CONFIGURED MACHINES. Also, I have been told that it is not a good idea to mark anything you buy tax free like this as a business expense, but IANAL.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
MacMail is offering the I7 custom configuration and I believe they don't charge tax (might depend on your location) and (I think) offer free shipping. Looks like they even offer rebates too. You might want to double check this however.

-PN

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
MacMail is offering the I7 custom configuration and I believe they don't charge tax (might depend on your location) and (I think) offer free shipping. Looks like they even offer rebates too. You might want to double check this however.

-PN

I think you mean Macmall, not MacMail, no? Anyhow, macmall is located in California, so for us, it's tax time (I'm located in LA). This is so frakking retarded for a computer/electronics reseller to locate themselves in a large state like CA - that forces most of your customers to pay tax. Much smarter to locate somewhere nearby, like Nevada, with a small population, so not many people have to pay tax from your state - and being close to CA you can ship it fast. California is a big state with many, many many customers - why would you locate there, and right off the bat exclude that rich pool - or put yourself at a disadvantage? That's why Amazon was smart to locate in Washington state. Guess where I buy most of my gear? That's right - Amazon. Free shipping and no taxes baby!

DDave

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2009
Texas
Well the new iMacsare on amazon, but it will take a while befor you'll see the i5. But if you gat any discount it doesn't save you that much. I'm waiting for AAFES to get them so I can get my discount, no tax and free shipping.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I think you mean Macmall, not MacMail, no? Anyhow, macmall is located in California, so for us, it's tax time (I'm located in LA). This is so frakking retarded for a computer/electronics reseller to locate themselves in a large state like CA - that forces most of your customers to pay tax. Much smarter to locate somewhere nearby, like Nevada, with a small population, so not many people have to pay tax from your state - and being close to CA you can ship it fast. California is a big state with many, many many customers - why would you locate there, and right off the bat exclude that rich pool - or put yourself at a disadvantage? That's why Amazon was smart to locate in Washington state. Guess where I buy most of my gear? That's right - Amazon. Free shipping and no taxes baby!

Which is great unless you live in Washington state, so I get hosed both ways....

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
It's not dodging tax it's working wihin the legally prescribed system to save some money. If you want to pay extra then you can pay my tax!!!!:D

No it's not, you are legally required to pay 'Use tax' when you 'dodge' sales tax. You are literally, legally obligated, to calculate what the sales tax would have been and mail it in to your local government.

Look it up.

Of course, this is one of the most evaded taxes that we pay. Of course, all our budgets always calculate what use tax should have been and spend that money anyway, as if next year magically everyone is going to pay it...

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
Well the new iMacsare on amazon, but it will take a while befor you'll see the i5. But if you gat any discount it doesn't save you that much. I'm waiting for AAFES to get them so I can get my discount, no tax and free shipping.

You don't really get a discount at AAFES. Just tax free and of course free shipping. If you know someone who lives in sales tax free state, like Oregon, I think it would be still be cheaper to buy it from Apple.com and send it there (then around 50 bucks to send it to you), as you'll save about 200 bucks with your Federal Employee discount. And Apple doesn't charge shipping.

If there is no way around the tax, then yeah, I guess AAFES would be the way to go. Just don't expect i7. I will probably be mildly surprised if they have any quad-cores. But anything is possible. I just don't think I can wait for AAFES to get 'em... they are so slow sometimes. LOL.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I have bought my last two Apple's through Amazon. No tax and often a rebate.
Shipping on the computers is NOT free, but is very reasonable. Expedited
shipping is naturally more.

You cannot get custom config's, but I expect the i5 and i7 to be available about the same time as Apple releases them.
Maybe a couple days lag, but thats about it.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007

Yes, Macmall. My mistake.

-PN

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
I have bought my last two Apple's through Amazon. No tax and often a rebate.
Shipping on the computers is NOT free, but is very reasonable. Expedited
shipping is naturally more.

You cannot get custom config's, but I expect the i5 and i7 to be available about the same time as Apple releases them.
Maybe a couple days lag, but thats about it.

From the Amazon I5 listing:

"$1,994.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping."

And the I7 IS a custom configuration so don't expect to see it at Amazon.

-PN

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
From the Amazon I5 listing:

"$1,994.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping."

And the I7 IS a custom configuration so don't expect to see it at Amazon.

-PN

That is a default shipping message Amazon uses. But if you put it in your cart and proceed through the buying process, you will SEE shipping added. There is a fine print exception on that free shipping message for heavy and large items. Not sure if the i7 will be considered a custom config-that refers to changes off the primary processor choice.

Live and learn my friend. Its always in the details. Be careful next time you sign those mortgage papers.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
That is a default shipping message Amazon uses. But if you put it in your cart and proceed through the buying process, you will SEE shipping added. There is a fine print exception on that free shipping message for heavy and large items. Not sure if the i7 will be considered a custom config-that refers to changes off the primary processor choice.

Live and learn my friend. Its always in the details.

Did what you said.

Items: $1,994.00
Shipping & Handling: $33.08
Super Saver Discount: -$33.08
Promotion Applied: -$0.00

Total Before Tax: $1,994.00
Estimated Tax: $0.00

Order Total: $1,994.00
You got free shipping!

I'm learning. :)

-PN

Reactions: Cape Dave

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap

Live and learn my friend. Its always in the details. Be careful next time you sign those mortgage papers.

You can't buy the i7 on Amazon - that's considered BTO, which only Apple does. Someone mentioned that some official Apple resellers can also ship BTO, but I don't know the details.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Even better, if you're a Amazon Prime member you get free* 2-day shipping on one of these guys. Or you can pay $3.99 for overnight shipping. There are a few other perks too, like free release date delivery on most video games, and you know, ordering $3 toothpaste and getting free 2-day shipping on it.

*--minus the $79 annual prime membership fee

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Yeah, this is making me really think. The tax situation here in Los Angeles is approaching 10%. If I buy off Amazon, I can actually get a small discount from the MSRP (only $5!), but mostly, NO TAX!!! BUT that means i5. If I want the i7, that's not only $200 extra. It's actually almost $500 extra. Is the i7 worth $500? I'm starting to re-think that. Anyhow, I'll wait until they are both out, and wait for benchmarked tests from reliable sites, and a lot of feedback from users. Only then will I decide if I want to pay $500 for the i7. That means sometime in January. So I definitely want a quad, it's just a question of i5 or i7 for $500 more... decisions, decisions...

I like to sum up the dilemma for CA residents like this:

(i7 Processor) (Tax Free) (Returnable)
You can only pick two options.

Here is what I mean (the bold are the options picked):

(Returnable) (i7 Processor) (Tax Free) = Apple Store
(Returnable) (i7 Processor) (Tax Free) = Powermax Custom Config
(Returnable) (i7 Processor) (Tax Free) = Amazon

If you are wondering why "returnable" is an option, it's because most (all?) Apple resellers will not accept returns on custom builds (which all i7 iMacs will be) for any reason. Only Apple themselves do.

sleepyfloyd

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
I'm getting my i5 from mac connection. $50 discount off retail, $100 mail-in rebate, $20 discount on applecare, plus no shipping and no tax. For me in CA, it's near $400 total savings vs. picking it up at the Apple store that is less than a mile from my house...

sleepyfloyd

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
sorry, just realized they only have the i5, and not the i7, which is what this thread is all about. apologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.