Will the iMac do everything I can do now on my PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by InternetDude08, Dec 16, 2009.

1. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

First time Mac guy.... I haven't bought one yet but would like to. My only Apple experience is my iPhone 3G which rocks. I've always owned PCs.

I'm a web developer kind of guy. Dreamweaver is mission critical, as is FTP apps. I don't really want movies, gaming, etc.

So I know Dreamweaver will work under Mac. But...

1) Is there an FTP program that works good?
    2) Is there an FTP app that will let me synchronize a remote folder to a local folder?
    3) Is there an app like robocopy.exe in Windoze that lets me run a command line synchronization across my local network?

Thanks.

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Macs have been able to "run" Windows for years. So yes, I has been able to do everything your PC can for sometime now.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/

1) several
    2) of course
    3) there are several applications that will do this, although maybe not exactly the way robocopy works. but with the way OSX works, you probably dont need to resort to it

3. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

For an FTP program you might want to look into Transmit. Simple and easy to use.

As mentioned, you can run window on your Mac and you wouldn't have to buy a mac version of Dreamweaver. Bootcamp, or parallels, or VMWare will do and then install Windows, whatever flavor you own.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Just do me a favor, don't pretend that running Windows on a mac is the same as running Windows on a Dell. Apple's drivers are downright horrible (especially for their portable lineup), and have been the cause of numerous issues for people, myself included.

Otherwise, yes. I prefer coding on a mac simply because of the way that OS X works, I can see more windows at once. And, because exposé is awesome.

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Weirdly enough Windows on my MB works BETTER than Windows on my Toshiba. Mainly because Apple's drivers under Snow Leopard are fine.

Leopard was a different matter.

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

it's all rebranded OEM drivers. not like dell writes their own

7. Jakk101 macrumors newbie

all i can say is bootcamp if there isnt a mac equivalent (which there 9/10 is) then just boot up windows on a differnt partition or through a virtual machine and do it the windows way

8. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Which is a crutch that defeats the purpose of switching to a new platform, don't you agree? I mean, why would you want to add complexity to your daily life by using two computing platforms instead of just one?

If Mac OS X doesn't cut it for your daily work, then there is absolute no reason to partly migrate to it. Either you can switch 100% -- or you better stay with Windows.

That being said, CyberDuck is a fine FTP program, and so is FileZilla, but I don't know of a good substitute for the simple and reliable RoboCopy. Of course, you could write a batch script for that.

9. silencer88 macrumors member

I believe rsync is the unix/linux equivalent to robocopy

10. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

1) As others have mentioned, FileZilla works well and is available for Window, OSX, and Linux
    3) since you mention command line, how about rsync? It is a standard Unix command-line app that comes with OSX. (I guess this has already been mentioned, too)

11. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I'm really not interested in dual booting so I want to stick with OSX.

Is there also an app like VNC so I can connect to an old Windows box I have on my network?

One more Q... Can I map a network drive to a Windows box without problems?

12. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Yes. It's built into OS X. Just go to the OS X Menu, Select Go, and Connect to Server. Then type in vnc://Servername or VNC://IP Address and away you go.

Yes, you can map to a shared folder on any Windows box. Same as above, but use SMB instead of VNC.

13. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

For FTP, consider Fetch. It's not free, but people I know whose paychecks depend on moving large files around the internet depend on it.

I'm quite fond of it. In the PC world I was a WS_FTP Pro user -- Fetch is just as good.

14. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

So far I'm impressed with this forum's members. I also checked out the Apple videos on their site about switching from PC to Mac and I like what I see.

No place in my town sells Mac, I'm going to go check them out tomorrow in another city and see what I think.