Will the iMac screen "burn in"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jakobben, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Jakobben macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got the iMac in my office connected to a tv in the living room via miniDisplay->HDMI and it works great! I'm usin Plex to browse my media, and I love it!

The only thing I'm worried about, is the fact that I cannot turn off the iMac monitor while watching stuff on the TV. I've looked around the net, and I can't find a solution. I'm not bothered by leaving the screen on, except that it uses more power, and I'm concerned that the screen will "burn in" by showing the same picture for extended periods of time...

Can the screen in any way be affected by showing the same picture for long periods of time (e.g. 5 hours)?

Even better, has someone come up with a solution for simply turning off the iMac screen while using Plex on the TV?

Thanks!

2. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Technically, that shouldn't happen anymore. The reason "screen savers" (which continuously alter the image being displayed) were invented or utilized, had to do with screen burn. Now they're just for asthetics.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

that is only half true , ok LCD don't burn in but....
    LCD displays suffer from something similar called image persistence and is not uncommon
    so leaving the screen saver on is recommended and is certainly not only Aesthetic

read the article
    http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/a/LCDBurnIn.htm

4. Jakobben thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies! That's a really great article, thanks for sharing!

So I guess there is still no way turn of the iMac screen while using an external display?

5. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting the article. I learned something new.