Will the iPad 2 receive GPS data from an Android device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lsquare, Aug 16, 2011.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

I've read that the wifi only iPad 2 can receive GPS data from the IP4 when it's tether to it. What if I have a Samsung Galaxy S2? Will the iPad 2 receive any GPS Data for navigational purposes?

2. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Was JUST about to post same thread. My iPad can't even pair with my phone, while I had no problem pairing my phone with everything else. Headsets, car, computer, wii remote. I downloaded a program from market at will turn my android phone into a Bluetooth gps receiver, but iPad simply refuses to connect to it. I wanted to use WingX and ForeFlight with my wifi only iPad, but no cigar. Another one of those idiotic iPad limitations that I simply cannot understand.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think so. Apple uses some special means of transferring the data over WiFi that I don't think Android devices can replicate.

4. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Where did you get that information from?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Self deduction. The iPhone-iPad only gets GPS data when its tethering over Bluetooth or WiFi. The iPad alone cannot connect to a GPS Bluetooth profile without a jailbreak.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not good enough. To answer this person's question, we need someone who's successfully used a hotspot function on an Android phone to tether up an iPad.

Until tested, this is just speculation. Nothing more.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This isn't speculation. I've tried to get my Aunt's iPad to connect to her aviation GPS thing. The iPad refused to even see it.

8. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

I tether data from my galaxy s to my iphone 4 all the time.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Data is not GPS location.

10. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information, but it's still not making a lot of sense. I can see why the iPad can't connect to a GPS Bluetooth Profile, but why can't it get the GPS data from an Android phone with GPS on? The two items that you mentioned are different.

11. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I've only tested it in the cities but the iPad GPS works pretty well when tethered to an Android phone. Perhaps because of the WiFi location detection?