Will the iPad 3 do away with the home button??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by olternaut, Mar 6, 2011.

1. olternaut, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

olternaut macrumors 6502a

I've been trying to decide whether I want to buy an iPad 2 now or wait until next year.
    So I've decided that it would depend on what Apple does to iOS 5.0. You see, with the probable updates to multi-touch gestures (along with numerous overhauls that would make one want an iPad 2 incidently) I think the goal of Apple is to do away with the home button.

But if this goal is accomplished with iOS 5.0 which may come near the end of this year, then wouldn't it make sense to believe that next year's iPad would not have a home button and have an even more efficient hardware design? I wouldn't want to buy the model right before a major redesign. The iPad 2 isn't a major redesign. It's just more of the same. Thinner, lighter yes, but it's more of the same.

This makes me want to wait at least until the summer to see if the iPhone 5 does away with the button. That would confirm that the iPad 3 will also lose the home button.

I think I'm going to wait.

Obviously someone here has an opinion about my logic so please share.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't think Apple is doing away w/ the home button any time soon. The lack of a button encroaches on too many people's device comfort level. They need a button to "save" them when all else fails. Note the annoyance when Apple replaced the screen hold button w/ mute even though the functionality was still available via a gesture then virtual button.

Eventually gestures will be as naturally as button and buttons will go away but that is a major culture shift that will take time.

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I seriously doubt that Apple will loose the home button. It is the one point of reference which I doubt the iOS devices will loose. Because everybody recognizes it and everybody knows how it works and what it does.

Everyone knows that if your in an app and you want to get out you push the home button. Whether your 8 or 80 you know that, and I believe the that the reason Apple has been so successful with the devices is because the software and hardware blend well together, would that remain the same without a home button. In my opinion no.

But I think your making the right choice not buying iPad 2, if you have iPad 1 im not so sure that you'll notice much of a difference. Having said that if i go and play with one, i wont be held responsible for the actions of my credit card.

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

The very nature of the iPad means that it will only get thinner and lighter. Shaving 33% off of a device's thickness is not 'minor.'

I do not see them doing away with a home button if just for the accessibility issue. Apple has made a huge issue about the iPad being used by people with disabilities, and getting rid of all buttons might be an issue.

5. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I don't see that home button going away anytime soon. You've got to have some physical buttons on a device like this.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

But, does it have to be a hardware button?

What about a software home button that's always at the same place on the device, no matter in which of the 4 orientations you hold it?

Like Honeycomb?

7. olternaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hear what all of you are saying. But the experts are saying that with the work that is being done on integrating more and more multi-touch gestures in iOS that the most likely outcome of that would be the decreased necessity of the home button.

This is Steve Jobs we are talking about. Rarely does he prescribe to "normal" logic. He has had to teach his customers his particular view when it comes to design. And quite often he is correct.
    Ultimately, he will be getting rid of the home button. In fact, I do believe that he never wanted the home button on the original iPhone in the first place. The reality at the time was that it is needed.

The question is...is it still needed? I think we are rapidly approaching the time when the answer will be no it's not needed.

The question for me personally now is...when exactly? Will it be in the next gen products? iOS 5.0 and the iPhone 5.0 design will probably tell us more about the timing.

If the iPad 3.0 will NOT have the home button removed next year then it does not make any sense I think to wait on the iPad 3 but to get the iPad 2 now. At least that is what I'm thinking.