Will the iPad 3rd gen get Panorama feature?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nevzorus, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The iPad 3 will not get panorama because the display is way to big. 9.7'' panorama camera. Panorama will be available today for the iPhone 4S and made available in two days to the iPhone 5 and in one month to the iPod Touch.

3. ginuwyne macrumors newbie

Has Apple stated the reason? The iPad can display panoramic photos taken with iPhones, so it's hardly obvious why it could not generate them when equipped with an equivalent camera, CPU and OS.

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I would love to get it on the iPad3.

When thinking positive: maybe the gyros to detect the movement is better in iP5; but this theory blows away as the 4S also work.

When thinking realistically: Apple don't want us to have it ... Will be one reason for iPad 4 :(

5. larange macrumors newbie

could it be camera quality? I am too lazy to go check but is the iphone5 camera any better than the new ipad camera? Not just in resolution but in quality, speed, etc.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

There could be an optical reason. For my DSLR I actually have a panorama head which allows easy adjustments to rotate the camera/lens around the nodal point.

Now on the iPhone the camera/lense is closer to the rotation axis; while on the iPad the camea/lens is more away from that line which could result in less quality images. Just a guess.

7. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I think the camera has to be able to take photos fast enough that you can pan at a reasonable speed. If it takes a second or two per photo you couldn't get a smooth panorama without a tripod.

Not sure if the iPad is up to the task or not.

8. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I can think of no technical reason why the new iPad should not be able to do panorama photos.

Not sure I would want to try to keep my iPad steady while doing it though... I only use my iPad camera in very rare circumstances.

Just my 2 cents.

9. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Also, Autostitch Panorama. It's an iPhone app but it works fine on the iPad. Apple hasn't implemented the panorama feature for their iPad camera app for no obvious reason, since it's clear it can be done.