Will the iPad 4 have light bleed issues now that Samsung isn't doing the displays?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Oct 25, 2012.

1. bobright, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

bobright macrumors 601

I have a launch iPad 3rd gen and the screen is beautiful and uniform (believe it is Samsung before they stopped making them). I want to sell this one and get the new iPad but now that Sharp is doing the displays might we run into problems?!? Isn't it Sharp or LG that did the iPad 2? Those screens were just awful and had light blobs all over the place.

I want one but if it means a crappy screen think I'll stick with my current one. I guess I'll just wait till they're launched and I'm sure well have a mega light bleed thread, or whatever issue it is.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

"Light Bleed" is caused by the side mounted LED backlights and the plastic light channels guides. Not the display.

3. hkfan24, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

hkfan24 macrumors regular

Yep. Pretty much sums it up.

You want to see major wall of light bleeding? Walk in to your nearest Best Buy and wait for a dark or pitch black scene to show up on screen. :D

4. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Funny no one told Samsung they aren't making displays for Apple anymore.

http://m.cnet.com/news/samsung-says-its-still-supplying-lcd-panels-to-apple/57537773

5. hkfan24 macrumors regular

6. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Then why was it when the iPad 2 was launched they were just awful and said to be by Sharp or some other manufacturer. The iPad 3 launch iPads were Samsung supposedly and there was no problem at all, most people said it was the best display they had.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Very true.

It's once Samsung displays are no longer being installed in Apple products that the fun will begin.

There's nothing like a lesser display, to highlight just how good the Samsung panels were.

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Agreed, as much as us apple fanboys dislike Samsung, they don't slouch in terms of quality.

9. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

If launch iPad 4's will be Samsung (as the last batch of them fullfilling their contract) maybe I should preorder before LG takes over. Yuck!!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11...make_samsung_apples_new_primary_supplier.html

10. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I'm still not convinced of that, my understanding is that there were a number of sources that said Samsung is on its way out but I'm unaware of anything definitive. Can you site a reliable source