Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I think it's safe to say that the iPad Air was to the iPad 1 what the iPad Air 2 is to the iPad 2. But what about the upcoming iPad Air 3? I don't think that there will be a resolution increase, especially considering the 264 PPI for the iPad Pro.

So instead of the iPad Air 3 being the next iPad 3, I believe that it will have the same design as the iPad Air 2 but with an A9 chip (with a PowerVR Series 7 GPU and LPDDR4 RAM), 32GB of base storage, and an updated FaceTime camera. In other words, a pretty similar upgrade like the iPad 4 was to the iPad 3.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the iPad Mini 4 has these same specs, but at $400. I also feel that force-touch will have to wait another year, much like Touch ID. After all, we haven't heard anything about force-touch on iPad yet.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I think apple might pull another ipadmini 3 with the iPad Air 3 , call it new but same internals and maybe make it look like the iPhone 6

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I think apple might pull another ipadmini 3 with the iPad Air 3 , call it new but same internals and maybe make it look like the iPhone 6
I guess it's possible, but I don't think they would change the design of the iPad Air every year for three years in a row (look at how long the iPad 2's design was used).

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
The iPad 2s design was only used for the iPad 2.
If you're referring to thickness, then yes. But I'm referring to its overall design language. The iPad 1 had one design, the iPads 2 through 4 had another, and the iPad Air 1 and 2 have another (although the iPad Air 2 is thinner).

Reactions: sanke1

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I would not be surprised if that happened, with a big change coming in 2016.
I prefer to think that the design will change until next year, as we have not had any leaks indicating that the iPad will take the iPhone 6's design. If I recall correctly, the iPad Air's design was leaked many months before its release.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I prefer to think that the design will change until next year, as we have not had any leaks indicating that the iPad will take the iPhone 6's design. If I recall correctly, the iPad Air's design was leaked many months before its release.

Do you mean will not change until next year?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yes, disregard my "until."

I think we're saying the same thing then. OTOH, as has come up in a few other subforums here, there aren't many of the usual leaks that we're used to seeing. It's possible that Apple has got more control over leaks than in previous years - hard to tell.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I think we're saying the same thing then. OTOH, as has come up in a few other subforums here, there aren't many of the usual leaks that we're used to seeing. It's possible that Apple has got more control over leaks than in previous years - hard to tell.
Could be, we haven't seen any iPhone or iPad Pro leaked casings (only one iPad Mini 4 and a possible iPhone 6c).

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Is an iPad with a new design going to make much of a impact on the current state of tablet sales? I'm doubtful so that's why I think the look will be the same. What would change my mind is the eventual design of the Pro because I do think each of them, and mini, will mirror each other in style.

If the iPad pro looses its beveled edges (and goes iPhone 6-like) so will the the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.