Will the ipad be "better" than the new ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GKDAIR, Aug 23, 2012.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

I know we don't know anything and its just rumors right now, but I can get an ipad right now, and I was going to get an ipad 3, but not if the ipad mini is going to be technically "better"

Better retina display, graphics, preformance, etc. Wil it have any of that do you think or will be more like a competitior to the nexus 7 and kindle fire.

2. elementskins macrumors member

elementskins

The iPad mini, if it is actually announced, will be a device to combat the growing number of 7" android tablets. It will not be a superior product to the iPad 3rd gen in any way. Similar spec, possibly, superior specs, not a chance.

3. irDigital0l Guest

The iPad mini wont be better because it wont have a better display, graphics, performance, etc.

Its low cost - low quality category competing with Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire, its not going to have the latest and greatest specs

4. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, thats what I figured, and I was going to get the 9.7 retina anyway, unless this smaller one was going to be "better"

Also, Apple already controls 68% of the tablet market? Do they really need something to compete with android? I don't think so.

5. irDigital0l Guest

That's debatable.

Sure Apple doesn't have to compete, but I think Apple pretty much wants to go overkill and just slap any hope out of Amazon or Google.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I still wonder if they may tweak the current iPad at the same time the Mini iPad launches. If only for the dock connector.

If the iPhone 5 launches with the new smaller dock, and the iPad mini launches with the new dock, and of course they will during those launches be saying how wonderful the new change to the connector is. Will they really not at the same time upgrade the current iPad with the new connector also?

7. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

it will just be a different product, like asking if iP5 will be better than the current gen iPad.

8. aleni macrumors 68020

I dont think apple will release an ipad mini with only a 1024x768 for the sake of not fragmenting it. Like the new ipad with retina display, who would have thought it would be possible right now? I believe apple will introduce the ipad mini with retina display, same resolution like the ipad 3 and with the same price point like the ipad 3. So people have a size choice without compromising quality like using a 1024x768 screen res.

About cheaper ipad mini, i dont think apple really need to compete with nexus 7 or any other android small tablet.

9. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I think the iPad mini will offer specs that are less than those offered by iPad 3, I think the new device is Apple's way of bringing new consumers into the Apple ecosystem, a low cost, easy introduction. If they price this thing at $299 or under it will be the gift for the holidays this year. Teenagers want iPad in overwhelming numbers, this price point will make fulfilling that wish possible for a lot of parents.

10. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Honestly i dont care about a 7 inch tablet. Just bring a lighter iPad 4 with less heat levels and take my money again. :cool:

11. aleni macrumors 68020

Why would apple price it low to gain more market share? Even with the current price, i see everywhere ipad in mall, caffe, school, university, even grand ma's house.

What about us who prefer the 7.85" but with the same performance and quality of the ipad 3? I prefer to pay the exact same price point like the ipad 3 for the 7.85" ipad but with the same performance and quality of the ipad 3.

12. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Are you saying the ipad mini will have a 2048x1536 resolution on a 7" screen? (which is 50% smaller than a 9.7" screen.) You really believe that?

13. aleni macrumors 68020

Yes. It would be lame if apple release an ipad mini with only 124x768 while other tablets have more than it.

14. animatedude macrumors 65816

It's smaller, lighter and more portable than daddy iPad, how can you say it's not superior than the current generation?

Lighter, smaller and more Portable is so Apple.

15. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

If they are aiming for a $199 to $299 price, than it will definitely not get a retina display. It won't get the A5X chip. It might not even use IPS technology.

16. elementskins macrumors member

elementskins

Making something smaller, lighter, and more portable does not make it superior. By that logic, the iPod nano would be a superior product to the iPod touch.

The iPad mini is being made to target the 7" android tablet space, which are typically lower cost devices in the $200-$300 range. While I don't think we'll see an iPad mini for less that $299, it will not be technically superior to the current iPad.

17. animatedude macrumors 65816

it's smaller, lighter, cheaper and more portable.

and if it didn't get a Retina Display this year it will next year.

for $299 it will position it as premium tablet more expensive that the current 7 inch tablets and much less than the bigger iPad.

Nothing genius about that it will just make the iPad reach more customers.

Edit: for a smaller size they will have to compromise like they did with the 11 inch Macbook Air.

18. EclipzeRemix macrumors newbie

EclipzeRemix

I think it will be a smaller iPad 2, but will have the iPad 3 chipset, could be a possibility