Will the iPad be taking a break next year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jebbuit, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jebbuit macrumors newbie

Jebbuit

Lets take a look at the iPod touch. When it got a retina display, a camera, and all the other things that make it great, the next year they didn't need to release a new one because the current one was already perfect.
    Will Apple be doing the same thing with the iPad 3? I don't think we will be seeing an iPad 4 next year and this current iPad will have a 2 year lifespan.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I seriously doubt that. The iPad is the market leader. If anything the next iPad will probably get better specs and might get slimmer.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

There are a number of 10" tablets being released later this year and undoubtedly more released next year. Unlikely that Apple will lay dormant for a year in a market that's advancing somewhat rapidly.

4. thuchu1 macrumors regular

thuchu1

When they gave the iPod a rest, the iPod Touch sales were starting to slip in favor of the iPhone. Unless something big happens, the iPad 4 will be here 2013.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I doubt it.

[​IMG]

Take a look at portion of sales that iPods make up these days. That's probably why they no longer update the touch every year.

6. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

As a technology junky I really hope not. Give me some 128GB quad core retina display iPad lovin' with LTE and a cam as good as the iPhone 4S with a front facing cam as good as my S3. Oh yea slap another 1 gig of ram on that bad boy and make it weigh the same as my iPad 2 with 8 to 10 hours of use!

7. animatedude macrumors 65816

i think so yes.

why? because what else they are gonna do to it?! when the iPad 2 came out i kept telling my friends to wait for iPad 3 because i knew they were gonna add two important features of the iPad 3 which are 1)Retina Display 2) 4G.

but now i don't see what else they are gonna add next year?....8 MB camera? i don't know...whatever they are gonna do, it will not be a huge upgrade like iPad 2 to iPad 3.

they need to keep improving it because the market is competitive but i think it's time for Apple to focus on something else, i want something NEW! iPanel? iCar? bring it on!

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No way is Apple going to just sit around and not release an updated iPad next year. That would be crazy.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The touch didn't get a significant update because there wasn't an A5 processor cool running enough to utilize.

The iPad will remain on its annual update cycle.

10. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

The reason that the 4th gen iPod Touch took a break was that:
    A. it had zero competition on the market
    B. it wasn't the most important money maker for Apple

The iPad is quite different. Apple would be incredibly foolish to stagnate the iPad development now and allow the competition to catch up.

11. UKBeast macrumors 6502

stereo speakers.

3d screen

making it lighter than now because it's way heavy

fast charging time

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Lot's of potential changes. These are the most obvious.

Cortex A15 SoC
    PowerVR Rogue GPU
    802.11ac
    Facetime HD
    Larger NAND storage

13. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

How can people think that thing is heavy? It is SO thin.. go look at your TV, your laptop and plenty of other things you have. Are they thin and really light? Nope.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

TVs and laptops aren't often used while held up with your hands. Weight is definitely a more important factor for tablets. And there are ways they could reduce the weight of the iPad. IGZO transistor technology would reduce the energy demands for the backlight, which in turn would allow for a smaller, lighter battery. An in-cell touchscreen would eliminate a layer of glass. Both are technologies Apple is rumored to be adopting anyway.

15. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Well, it was pretty stupid to name TVs but we will problably get a way to have our TV anywhere in 10 years or less. Laptops does weigh much in your lap, and that's a problem. It's not heavy, it's just hard to hold it for a long time since you often hold it with your hands, and that takes your own strength. (The iPad)

16. irDigital0l Guest

Quad-core A6 chip

FaceTime HD (better front facing camera)

Lighter/thinner design (New screen technology along with other enhancements to make it the same or even lighter than the iPad 2)

Better speakers

Some NFC capabilities

New iPad exclusive UI (better Notification Center and Multitasking)

17. urkel macrumors 68030

There is still A LOT to improve on the iPad in both OS and Hardware. And with Apple giving a (debateably) minor OS update then they really need to give a solid hardware upgrade.

18. APlotdevice, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You're not really supposed to to use a "laptop" in your lap. Weight aside, most of them get rather warm. And there are often vents on the bottom. In fact many manufacturers today, including Apple, have an official policy against using the term "laptop" in marketing for these reasons. They would much prefer that everyone just call them "notebooks".

19. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Hahaha, i'll problably have to change the way i use my ''laptop'' then. ;)
    Oh yes, they get warm and my legs are sweating. I think that's just because of people letting the ''laptop'' get so hot that they get burned really bad on the leg.

20. -TYLER macrumors regular

Time to lift some weights...