Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I can't imagine why it would need to vibrate
But, I can't say it is completely out of the realm of possibility either

OP, why do YOU want it to vibrate?
Just curious

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I can't imagine why it would need to vibrate

Push notifications and alarms. Games. Haptic key feedback. I even have an iPhone comic book that can be set to vibrate when there is a big "BANG!" in the story.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It will be interesting to see, because of the hybrid nature of the iPad
My MBP doesn't vibrate on push notifications
But my iPhone does
Hmmmm

I am not sure I would want my iPad to vibrate
But I would assume it would be a setting if it does

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
Push notifications and alarms. Games. Haptic key feedback. I even have an iPhone comic book that can be set to vibrate when there is a big "BANG!" in the story.

since when has the iphone or touch had haptic feedback? I'll take Flash and multitasking over these products giving me the tingles.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
It does have the silent switch on the side, so it's definitely possible. A lot of games use the vibration as feedback and it'd undoubtedly have its uses.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So you're expecting to carry the iPad around your waist or something so you feel it?

I think most people will have the iPad on a table or docked most of the time and will hear notifications and alarms over the speaker.

Unfortunately, I'm not "most people," I have a severe hearing loss, so I don't hear most notifications and alarms through the tinny iPhone speakers. I don't know if the iPad's speakers are louder than the iPhones, but having a "vibrate to notify" option gives me more peace of mind, especially since if the vibrate can be set "loud" enough, I can feel it through a table or the floor. Hm, I should probably write Apple and suggest this as an accessibility feature. ;)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Are there games that use vibration as an effect?

Yes there are. For example, Eliminate Pro: When you get shot, your iPhone vibrates to alert you that you're losing energy.

I think vibration would be a useful feature for the iPad.

If you were using it somewhere quiet and you needed to put the volume to mute, the vibration could alert you to a new email, for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.