iPad mini Will the iPad Mini 2 continue to be supported?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by akimoriRyuuji, Jul 14, 2015.

1. akimoriRyuuji macrumors regular

akimoriRyuuji

My question, is as the title implies. But let me explain what I mean. The iPad Mini 2 may reportedly begin to be phased out. However, it has similar (essentially identical) specifications to the iPad Mini 3. I have decided I want to buy the iPad Mini 2 and I will do so within the next couple of weeks (I'm waiting for student sales to start so I can get a discount). However, will the iPad Mini 2 continue to receive iOS updates? How long might it be until the iPad Mini 2 doesn't get updates but the Mini 3 does? Maybe a finger print reader will become a prerequisite for all future iOS devices. Idk... it just seems a bit risky.

What do you guys think? I'm not interested in the latest and greatest, I just want an iPad :p

2. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Well, the mini 2 is getting iOS 9, so you don't have to worry for the next year lol. I think the A7 devices (iPhone 5s, Air 1, Mini 2/3) will get to iOS 11 or beyond. Considering A5 devices are still supported, i think the A7 devices will be around for a while.

If you can wait, the mini 4 will be coming out this fall. I have the mini 2 right now and I'm awaiting the iPad Air 3 :)

3. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I just bought two iPad Mini 2s from Best Buy. The $230 price was just too good to pass up... 16GB should be plenty for how we will use them. The only differences between the Mini 2 and Mini is the addition of a Touch ID sensor button and a third color option. Otherwise the specifications are identical... Spending almost 100% more for a Mini 3 just doesn't make any sense.

Logitech has full-sixe portable Bluetooth keyboard that goes for less than $40 on Amazon.com. It has very good reviews and it looks like a solid option to Apple's overpriced keyboard. All the reviews that I have read for keyboard cases and Mini-size Bluetooth keyboards tend to note the difficulty of typing on a keyboard where there is little room between the keys. The Logitech keyboard also has function keys that support iOS commands. And its case converts into a nice stand for the Mini.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054L8MR8...e=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B0054L8MR8

4. Jman13 macrumors 68000

The mini2 is a great tablet. I upgraded from the original Mini, and it was a huge upgrade. With the mini 3, I felt no need to upgrade, and even now, it still feels fast and capable and the screen is great. I use it a lot and still have no desire to upgrade. Picture in picture on iOS 9 works beautifully, and while split screen would be nice (mini 4 should be able to do it), it's not a huge dealbreaker. Right now I wouldn't pay the extra for the mini 3. TouchID is awesome on the phone, but I don't think it's nearly as necessary on a tablet.

5. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Well, it is certainly awesome on an iPad as well if you ask me- just no where near $100+ for it between the Mini 2 and Mini 3. I have the Air 2 (first iPad I've owned) and love having TouchID on it. But it wasn't really even a factor when I was considering between the iPad Air 2 and iPad Air.

6. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I also agree with the TouchID statement, but it is getting better as more and more apps take advantage of it. My biggest pet peeve is some apps that use it on my phone (my banking app in specific). Has TouchID log in, however the Ipad version of the app does not.

/annoying

7. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

The iPad mini 2 should still see updates into iOS 11 development, I believe. The A7 chip is still very capable and I feel like iOS 9 is refining its use. Make sure to find the best deal that you can so you don't overpay, OP!

8. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Of course it will. I won't worry about losing support until about 2017. It might even still be sold for the $249 price that the original Mini was sold at last year.