Will the iPad Mini be gimped hardware wise?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Risco, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

What do you guys think? I want one purely because I feel the current iPad is too big and cumbersome for my needs. I feel the 7" size of the mini would make a better iBook and Magazine reader. I would also like to use it for the odd gaming session and iMovie / iPhoto.

My concern is that Apple will gimp the hardware to a point where it does not become a viable solution. For example a non retina display would be a major detractor for me. Same goes for gimped graphical power or only 2.4ghz instead of dual band wifi.

Thoughts?

2. WLS macrumors 65816

It's a forgone conclusion that the mini will not have the same hardware that the larger ipad has.
    It will have a non retina display and will not need an A5X or A6.
    It will have the 32NM die A5 which is pretty sweet in itself.
    That should not be a problem in the 8 inch form factor. Those who want the smaller size and lower price will like it but if the higher specs and game capability are that important to you then get the big dog.
    I've all but decided a Touch 5 will do what I want along with the 10inch iPad for at home and games.

3. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

While the idea of an iPad Mini is totally up in the air, I would imagine it's like comparing the iPhone to the iPod Touch. Price will be less, but in turn, the specs will be subpar. My best guess is this:

$399 8 GB, $499 16 GB
    A5 Processor like in the iPad 2.
    Same GPU as the iPad 2.
    Non-retina (mainly because of the processor... maybe an iPad Mini 2 would have Retina)
    Same cameras as in the iPad 2.

Basically, it could be a smaller iPad 2.

I'm personally waiting for the iPad 4.

4. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

My guess since Apple may want to compete with the other smaller tablets manufactures...

8 GB version $249.99 WiFi only

16 GB version $299.99 WiFi only

16 GB version with 4G network $349.99 - $399.99

Few more weeks and we shall see ;)

5. WLS macrumors 65816

I think a case can be made to expect an isight camera like both the Touch5 and iPad3 have and which is better than the iPad2 camera.
    Otherwise yea same old stuff from the iPad2

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

I think the ipad mini should have ipad 3 hardware

In a couple of months ipad 2 hardware will be 2 years old

7. guineapig macrumors regular

+1
    If it's 7 inch and retina, it's mine on day 1. Otherwise I can keep my first gen iPad until a retina 7inch is out (if it ever will be).

8. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

You do realize that the full-sized iPad 2 is $399 for 16 GB, right?

You think they will charge the same price for a smaller, more outdated iPad with half as much storage?

9. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

We do not know it will be outdated.:rolleyes:

10. Nychot macrumors 6502a

If any of you take a look st the google nexus n7 you will see that its non retina screen is on a par with the ipad retina. I have both. The 7 inch form factor with nexus like resolution doesnt need retina and apple wont put it on what is still the fantasy mini which by the way i now dont believe is in the cards, at least this year. I hope i'm wrong and that it has two cameras.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This would be right up my alley. As far as retina I can live without that on the iPad. My iPad is used for social sites as well as quick biz so retina is not essential.

12. stuaz macrumors 6502

If the screen isn't retina then I will wait to upgrade my iPad 1 till the iPad 4 and get the new dock connector (and probably a thinner design as that seems to the direction).

Yeah I know 'retina isn't the be all to end all' but to me (as you can tell by my current hardware - 2006 MacMini, 2009 13" Pro, iPad1, 3GS and a 4) - I tend to keep my devices for a bit. Only recently upgraded to Retina MBP and 5 (But haven't got the latter yet). To me I know that if it doesn't have retina or camera, then that will be next years 'features'. Where at least if it comes with Retina and a Camera, next years features will most likely be a thinner design and better internals.

Just my two cents :)

13. mantan macrumors 68000

I think this is right on point.

Customers won't balk at a $50 'Apple tax' for a device with comparable specs. But I don't see customers paying 50% more.

I think the market for a mini is as an 'accessory device' rather than a mainstream device. So i'd be shocked if it had more than 16GB or any of the latest bells/whistles of the 3rd gen ipad.

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

I don't think there going to bother with 8gb

16 should be the minimum on a tab

15. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Who knows. All I know is that a non retina display would look pretty shoddy sat next to a Nexus 7 or any of the other recently announced 7 inch tablets. I don't think Apple are going to release a product that is clearly not as good as the competition. My bet is it will not have a rear facing camera, and will be limited in storage space. I also doubt they'll be a cellular version. But hey, I'm just guessing like th rest of us :)

16. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma