Will the iPad Mini become Apples best selling iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KittyKatta, Oct 16, 2012.

?

Will the iPad Mini become Apples best selling iPad?

1. Yes, iPad Mini will sell more due to price and size

79 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. No, the iPad will continue to dominate due to specs

52 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I'm wondering if anyone else sees the iPad Mini overtaking the iPad in terms of sales. The way I see it then this will go the route of the iPod Nano back when it overtook the standard iPod or MacBook 13/MacBook Air overshadowing the flagship MacBook Pro 15.

But how about everyone else? Will the larger iPad still have the mass market appeal or will it become the niche model meant for a more specific audience?

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Not having retina killed it for me, unless they have a direct-sunlight hybrid screen.

3. seajewel macrumors 6502

I think lower price and such will make it eventually more popular than the iPad 3. it's also a great device for families with children.. especially for Christmas time. It's a great size for novel reading in bed. Basically the only time *I* think iPad 3 would be better is for reading pdf books/work documents. Since I do need to do that as well, I'll be torn if the iPad 3 is updated to lightning at the same time.. otherwise I'll probably go with iPad mini for now

ETA: if iPad mini doesn't have retina, I'm either going to wait or go with Kindle Fire HD for a small tablet. I hate, hate, hate the non-sharp font of low ppi screens.

4. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Yeah, if its Non-Retina then thats probably the only spec that might deter me from buying right away (but probably not :D). Im just excited that these rumors are finally looking like reality because I started to have doubts. :p

----------

The thing about the iPad 3/4 is that when I do need a larger size for a specific task then I'm usually better off just going to my MacBook. So while I originally felt the Mini would be a secondary iPad, I'm ditching the 9.7" completely because my iPhone, iPad Mini and MacBook should cover all my needs.

5. seajewel macrumors 6502

for me I read a lot of pdf documents for work and I'd prefer the iPad form factor to having a laptop just for reading and maybe a little bit of highlighting/notes.

6. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Lower price and its made by Apple?! Most people really love Apple products for their quality. This will sell huge, it could take a while to get up to the iPad's total sales however..

7. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I see huge lines. This thing will rock big time!,

8. RobAus macrumors newbie

RobAus

If you have a full size iPad, would you upgrade to an iPad mini next time?

Interested to know what people will do..

9. token787 macrumors regular

token787

The specks would sell for the full model, but price will probably make the mini a good sale. I have a 7 inch tablet now so I want a full model.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

No because I prefer the size of the current iPad.

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I think so, at the right price point and if it has the right specs it will.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Hard to tell. But the I believe the iPod nano is the best-selling iPod, meaning people flock to cheaper, smaller stuff. Considering how well the cheapest iPad and iPhone sell compared to the others with more storage, I am guessing the lowest-cost device will do OK.

13. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

This has been my position all along. There is a place for the big iPad for some but I need a replacement for my Kindle Fire. The mini is it.

----------

You know there is a thread devoted just to that topic. Interesting topic.

14. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

Individual, we may not be interesting in Ipad mini because of the spec. But that is a first world problem. The lower price point will allow a lot of folks who does not have enough disposable income to get an IOS tablet. Think about people in Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia (including China, Malasyia, Philippines....). Even within US and Europe, there is a big group of folks who cannot afford 399 entry price of an Ipad 2. And those folks don't have to worry about retina display or not, since they never have one before.

15. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Yes and it will be price that does it. I think the majority would get the larger iPad if they could afford it with a fairly small amount truly preferring the smaller to the larger.

I've played around with smaller tablets and own a fire and while I found it easier to use and more comfortable to hold, after using a larger tablet (10.1 Xoom and 9.7 iPad) for about two weeks I haven't returned to a smaller tablet. Of course me being me I would probably end up purchasing one anyway, esp since it is slightly larger than a 7 inch tablet and might make a difference.

16. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Before the Retina display the iPad screen was still magnificent. All of a sudden the iPad 3 comes out and right away people think looking at the iPad 1 or 2 is like burning the eyes. I have an iPad 1 and an iPad 3, and quite frankly the difference is not all that great.

The iPad mini will do well, but I don't think it will kill the regular iPad. What it will probably kill is the Kindle Fire, but even that is doubtful.

What the iPad mini will do the most is allow more people to buy an iPad like device and introduce more people to the Apple ecosystem. I know quite a few people that switched from Windows based machines to the Mac, just because of the ease of use of the iPhone and later the iPad.

The iPad mini could be an entry point for a lot of people into other Apple products. The iPad Mini will also have it's own market. Those people that want to be able to do more than what the Kindle Fire can do but don't want the larger size of the iPad. The e-reader market will probably be the main market for the iPad mini. It will be the most advanced e-reader out there. When it comes to reading, I do prefer reading my Kindle touch more than the iPad, mainly because of size. The smaller size is easier to hold and carry around.

Even if the iPad mini can do everything that the iPad 1 or 2 can do, it's size will hinder it and people will still look to the larger sized iPad for those tasks where the screen is just too small.

The iPad mini market will most likely be the everyday person looking for an e-reader that can do a bit more than the Kindle Fire, but with the ease and power of the iOS operating system. The Kindle Fire runs a scaled down version of the Android system and that hinders a lot of what the Kindle is capable of. The iPad mini is perfect for those that want something larger than an iPod touch or iPhone, but smaller than an iPad.

17. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I go back and forth between our iPad 2 and 3 all the time and the retina obviously looks better but I have no issues with the old screen.

Anyway, the area where I feel retina is most visible is reading books so if we are to have the older resolution then does the iPad Mini being smaller make it less noticable that its not retina? Thanks.

18. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I think it'll sell more, but not loads more, and it'll only reduce ipad 9.7" sales a bit as I think most ipad mini customers will be new (like me - probably)

The main reasons people will prefer the mini are size and price.

The people who'll get it because of price won't have an ipad already for the simple reason that they can't afford it.

The people who get it because of size probably didn't get an iPad already because it was inconvenient - of those who did a lot will be people with enough disposable income and apple fanboyism that they'd probably just get both anyway.

So the only full sized ipad sales lost will be from mildly rich, moderate apple fans :p

Just IMO

19. WLS macrumors 65816

Yes I will. I have an iPad3 and it is too heavy to lug around. I use it at home mainly and the big screen is appreciated but if the mini is to my liking I will move to using that for in the car and in public. The iPad3 could be the last model for me for a while and I had updated every year so I have had 3 of them. The mini could be the best selling iPad ever.

20. aneftp macrumors 68040

Need to correct your history. The iPod nano did not overtake the standard iPod as the best selling iPod.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/05/4gb-ipod-mini-apples-best-selling-player-plus-a-mini-shuffle/

The iPod mini actually was the best selling iPod before it too was replaced by the iPod nano.

How soon people forget about the iPod mini!

21. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

At the same price, I'd even prefer to have the iPad mini 1024 x 768 than the iPad 3 retina display. That's why I sold my iPad 3, mostly because I find it too big and too heavy.

22. mantan macrumors 68000

No doubt about it. It will easily outsell the larger iPad.

The market for it is a lot bigger. People who may have bought one iPad for the household will look at buying a couple of iPad minis for the kids. Or families who wanted a second device will jump all over the mini. And it will absolutely be a huge gift. I know all the big money rollers around here think nothing of dropping $500-$800 on a birthday or holiday gift. But for the rest of us, $299 is a lot easier to justify for a birthday, graduation, holiday gift than $500-$700.

23. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

I'll probably get one. I can justify spending $250 for it rather than the entry price of the iPad 3.