Will the iPad Mini cannibalize sales from the regular iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saintforlife, Aug 19, 2012.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I for one, think $500 is too much for a internet consumption/novelty device, so I never bought the iPad. However if the iPad Mini comes out at the $200-250 price point, I will definitely be getting one. Anybody else in the same boat?

Will the iPad Mini cannibalize sales from the regular iPad with people now choosing to go with the lower price point device now that they have that choice?

2. NbinHD macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat, I don't think they will cannibalize them but the 10" iPads sales might go down a little seeing that most of the iPads being brought are for little kids and it would make sense to buy them a less expensive iPad.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

There is no way and iPad mini will be $250. $299 for the entry model, maybe.

4. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think there will be some cannibalization. It's inevitable. Some people prefer the smaller form factor but previously has no choice. That said, the number of new, first-time iPad buyers will significantly dwarf any cannibalization.

5. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

I think it's the same as the iPod Mini and the original iPod.It will just bring it to a wider audience.

6. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Moving some customers from notebook, and tablet, buckets sure.
    However they will be lost statically compared to the new customer base just for the mini.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple will try to target the "2" price range with smaller iPad. But knowing Apple it will be $299 amd only 8GB and wifi only. There will be compromises to upsell u to buy more memory. Say $399 for 16GB mini and $499 for 32GB mini in order to maintain their healthy margins.

People will be pissed but still willing to pay $299 for 8GB wifi only model cause apple will market the iCloud to tell people 8GB is enough. And techies who want more space will pay more

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Your concerns are somewhat ridiculous. The 13" macbook pro probably significantly outsells the rMBP. It's cheaper, so it can appeal to a wider market. This shouldn't be a surprise. Consider the initial success of the ipod and US sales of the iphone, where its true cost is hidden by subsidies. These things were much lower price points than prior Apple products. It's the epitome of a mass market brand, so I'm not sure why this concern comes up so frequently.

9. mantan macrumors 68000

This is going to open up a huge new market. As popular as the iPad has been, there are a LOT of people who can't justify spending $500-$800 on a media consumption device. Or if they do, they will get one to share with the entire family and 'hand down' when they upgrade.

An iPad mini will appeal to people who couldn't justify the expense of the original iPad and families looking for a second/third device for spouses/teens kids.

I'll likely be 'THE' gift for the holiday season. $300 is the market sweet spot. A lot of kids, spouses, parents, in-laws etc. will be unwrapping them this year.

I also agree with the above that the specs aren't going to be killer at $299. It'll likely adopt the 'trap door' pricing of the iPod Touch with the $299 being 8 gig and a 32gig being $399. It'll also be interesting to see where the pricing comes in for the 3G models (doubt LTE will be included). I could see $349 for an 8gig 3G and $449 for a 32 gig.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Cannibalization will happen but the market for tablets is going to continue to increase so if anything Apple's going to want to be the ones cannibalizing their iPad line.

Some users have asked for multi user features in iOS but I think Apple neatly sidesteps this feature by deliver an iPad mini.

That way each tablet because personal for each family member without going broke.

I think the ideal target size/cost her is $250/8GB and $299/16GB

LTE comes along with Retina displays next year at this time.

11. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I remember one quote in the Steve Jobs biography that really speaks on this subject.

Here is the excerpt from Walter Isaacson:

One of Jobs's business rules was to never be afraid of cannibalizing yourself. "If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will," he said. So even though an iPhone might cannibalize the sales of an iPod, or an iPad might cannibalize the sales of a laptop, that did not deter him

12. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Good luck with that. I suspect you'll be lucky to see a $299 iPad-Mini, and then without cameras or bells-n-whistles. It could happen that there is a $250 Mini, but I really doubt it; the $250 Mini would cannibalize the iPod Touch! Perhaps they will lower iPTs down to $99+, but I'll believe it when I see it.

People seem to want an iPad Mini, but I don't. I want an iPad Maxi with larger screen and processing and memory to become a portable desktop computer. The iPT and iPhone are too small for decent surfing or video. IMO the iPad Mini would be a far better "kids" device for video and web and games.

If the iPad Mini pushed the iPTs down in price, will the Nano and Shuffle be budged off the market? They should have made the Shuffle a $19.99 device for a couple years now, lowering memory to 1 or 2 GB max. The Nano should be a $49-$79 device if possible. That'd make room for cheap iPTs and then Mini iPads. Somehow it doesn't seem like Apple to do such a move.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

For me, the cannibalization started months ago...

I bought a 64GB iPad 3 on launch day and returned it a week later. I went back to my old 64GB iPad 1. Reason: Not sufficiently differentiated to justify obsoleting a perfectly good, 2-year old, $699 iPad 1. That, and the fact that the iPad mini rumors were gaining traction that week and I really wanted a smaller iPad.

14. SlyMac macrumors 6502

If anything, it will compliment the ipad sales. There might be the occasional person that decides on the smaller one instead of the regular one but that wont be the norm. Most people that purchase the mini will do so because of the price point (assuming it is around 250-300 and dreaming of 199) and form factor.