iPad Pro Will the iPad Pro really replace my PC?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ILowry82, Nov 11, 2015.

1. ILowry82 macrumors regular

I love apple products and would love nothing more than to have nothing but apple for all my devices. I currently have a Surface Pro 3. The reason I have the surface is for the few things that I can't do on my iPad Air 2. For example. Recently, my wife and I got married and went on our honeymoon. We received our wedding photos as a downloadable zip file that I just downloaded on the surface. Same with our honeymoon, we purchased a Disney Photo Pass from disneyland and downloaded the photos from a zip file to the surface. Is there a way to do this on an iPad Pro? Another reason I have the surface is if someone gives me a file on a USB drive. Is there a way to connect a USB drive to the iPad Pro? If I can't do these simple tasks, then it does not appear that the iPad Pro would be able to replace my PC.

2. krizko macrumors regular

You can definitely extract a zip file. There are many apps that can accomplish this for you.

As far as the USB drive, you might be able to connect it using the USB lightning connection kit, however unless it is only photos on the drive you will need to wait for a jailbreak to access anything else.

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

yes, it's some of the simpler tasks you might stumble over.

transferring files - i dont know if usb or other adapter connections exist. but if you can get over IOS's own filing system methods and get used to the fact you wont have all desktop software you're used to then yes, depending on your needs, ipad can replace your traditional computer.
    it's replaced mine :)

4. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

I did a total overhaul of my electronics this year - I have a Surface Pro 4 (unfortunately my business requires Windows), and now an iPad Pro. I'll probably just use the iPad Pro for a really awesome media consumption experience.

5. S.T.A.R. macrumors regular

S.T.A.R.

Not mine...

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The iPad pro has the exact restrictions as all other iPads have. It will not do the things your surface can. While there are apps and workarounds for certain tasks , it's not going to be as simple as having an OS with a file system.

A rMb is a much better product to compete with the the surface pro.

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I'm a dev so no its not really in the cards yet. Maybe in the future. How do you develop apps for an iPad Pro? It's ashame not to take advantage of the full display. The problem is fitting it onto my 27" display...

8. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

For much of what the 'average Joe' uses a PC for, perhaps....but maybe not quit yet. Increased functionality able to take full advantage of it's hardware such as future versions of iOS and the full versions 'pro' apps will change minds.

9. orioncrystalice macrumors 6502

orioncrystalice

Still wondering who ever promised it would or was meant to do that...

10. newellj macrumors 601

At least for now, epic failures like not being able to have two Word documents or two Excel spreadsheets open at the same time means there's no way it can replace a laptop for me. If all you do is read email, surf the web and watch videos, I guess it'd be fine - but those aren't very "Pro" uses.

11. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If your use case is very basic it probably can. I have a work provided windows laptop that I have to use for my job, so I use that for my work.

For personal use most everything I do can be done on an iPad and is done on an iPad. Games, Video streaming, music, email, shopping, bill pay, web browsing, light picture editing.

If you have very basic computing needs you are probably going to be okay with an iPad.