Will the iPhone 3G stick around at $99 for long?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spaceballl, Jun 9, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I don't think it will...

Here's what I think...

- Apple has too many iPhone 3Gs laying around. They want to get rid of them
    - It doesn't make sense for Apple to manufacture two phones at the same time
    - Apple doesn't want to be locked into starting their pricing at $99 next year

So I'm thinking this will last until the new year, at the latest, and once all the phones are gone, they'll just have the 3G S available. What do you think? I wrote a quick post about it here for those who are interested.

Then again, I could be completely wrong and the $99 phone will sell like hotcakes, and Apple will just make sure they always have a product at that price.

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I think Apple made the 3G $99 so they would have a 'base model', so they are opening the iPhone to the people who don't want to spend $200, which means more money for Apple. So no, I don't think they'll get rid of it, they'll either 1) Do the same thing next year, i.e. making the 16GB 3G S $99, or 2) Introduce a $99 iPhone 4G next year. But I don't think they'll get rid of that price point.

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

The only problem I have of Apple keeping an iPhone at the $99 price point is that I would think that most people buying at this price wouldn't want to pay the $30 a month that comes along with it. The consumer base that is willing to pay the $30 a month will probably just buy the 3Gs.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The iPhone will someday sell for $0 subsidized (at least the low-end version).

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I agree. If they want to "attack the low end," they need to do that with the monthly fees, not with $100 discount up front.

6. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Well, Apple and AT&T have taught us that they are more than willing to squeeze every dollar from their customers thanks to their monopoly over iPhone.

Majority of people who are willing to try $99 iPhone won't punch in all the numbers prior to signing the 2-year contract. It will be too late once they realize what they have gotten themselves into; they will be stuck with $30 data plan fee and $20 unlimited text msg fee every month for 2 full years.

And, I don't believe we will see free iPhone in near future or as long as AT&T has iPhone exclusivity. And, lowering the price of 16GB 3GS to $99 with in a year is highly unlikely as well. Why charge $99 when there are plenty of people who are willing (or have no choice but) to pay $199?

And, I seriously doubt APPLE will introduce 4G iPhone next summer, especially at current 3GS's prices. They will wait a little longer to maximize their profit on 3GS phones or they will increase the price.

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Hmm, but as has been pointed out in other threads people are often short sighted. A $99 iPhone certainly sounds good. I certainly know several people who, when faced with a good upfront price, have simply signed the contract, only to realise about 6 months later that they don't need such a big contract, or that they'd rather be spending £25 a month less than they are.

8. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

There probably are people dumb enough to buy the 99$ phone, but aside from stupidity, I can't think of a good reason to.

I mean, an extra 100 bones for (an extra) 8 GBs, autofocus camera and video capabilities... And extra horsepower under the hood. Who wouldn't take that? For less than 5% of the total cost of ownership?

Real cost savings will come from the data plan, but I'm not holding my breathe for AT&T to discount those.