Will the iPhone 4 design elements be incorporated into next Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RuscalfoVallejo, Jun 7, 2010.

1. RuscalfoVallejo macrumors newbie

RuscalfoVallejo

Does the iPhone 4 design elements (stronger glass, ips screen, cnc stainless steel, etc) mean they will be incorporated into the next Macbook Pro Revision?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Glass maybe, but you're not touching it so it's probably not a priority to make it into the MBP, especially since it's much larger.

IPS again maybe, but IPS is pretty expensive when you start getting into the larger sizes (other that Dell for some of their screens).

Stainless steel is a weird one, since they could maybe replace all the aluminum with it and have the entire computer act as an antenna which would solve lots of people's wifi problems. but then there's the cost involved with that since it's pretty new technology.

Most of this stuff is probably too expensive at this point to make it to a MBP. But maybe some of them will come at a later revision. Not the next one, but a future one.

3. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Why would you need any of that in the macbook? Imagine an i7 15 inch macbook with CNC alloy metal? Definitely good for cooking eggs while running some high-cpu demanding apps

4. unamused macrumors 6502

IPS Panels due tend to cost more... but then again, the iMac has a 27" IPS panel, i dont see why they cant stick one in the MBP.

Steel probably is a weight issue....

.... you mean like the aluminum alloy MBP they have out right now? :confused:

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah that's true. Although I think the reasoning behind it is because the MB and MBP are "personal" devices, meaning it's not often you share the screen with someone or whatever. With iPhone, iPad, and a huge screen iMac, those are more likely to me shared for photos and what not, so maybe that's why Apple decided to put IPS in those devices because of the greater viewing angles. I wouldn't complain if they did add it to the MBP line though. :D

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

E-IPS is an emerging player in IPS screens due to it's lower power-consumption and lower cost. If we are going to see an IPS screen in the next MBP, my guess is that it would be of the e-IPS variety.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I believe that that's what they are using for the iPad and iPhone 4. I imagine that the next major MBP update will include IPS displays, and probably the next major update after that will have significantly higher resolutions.

It will depend on whether 10.7 includes decent resolution independence.

8. unamused macrumors 6502

id actually bet that you are more likely to share what you are looking at on a MBP then an iMac.... How often do you see people carrying around iMacs! :p (and i know there was that guy at panera that lugged his imac there for internet)

9. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Haha, I guess. Any way you cut it really, it just makes sense that Apple puts an IPS display in the rest of their products.

10. Mark.W macrumors member

Aluminum heats up just as much as steel does. The main problem with a stainless steel MBP would be weight. Steel is three times heavier than aluminum.

11. puma1552 macrumors 601

The conductivity isn't the issue--it's the heat transfer coefficient. Aluminums is muchbetter at dissipating heat than steel.

12. Coswyn macrumors member

Coswyn

IPS is likely given its better viewing angles (time takes care of cost, so it (or something like it) will show up in the MBP line eventually.

I think full glass casing on the scale of a large notebook computer is overbearing, and partial glass casing is too much of a deviation from the simple aesthetics of the current MBP (which is a progression from the former - to deviate in this case is to digress).

The benefits of stainless steel (highest strength:weight ratio for durability and impact resistance; solid feel; arguably more attractive; less corrosive; etc) are outweighed by the cost (more expensive and weighs more - these alone make it less than ideal for portable computers). Another note, which I would neither call an advantage or disadvantage of steel: it's more dense than anodized aluminum, which means it's not as good at conducting energy nor dissipating it. While aluminum is good at spreading and shedding heat, steel takes longer to become hot and longer to cool down. When the base of the current MBP case heats up it will more quickly gradually spread the heat throughout it, but with steel it will take longer and you might have a boiling point next to the CPU. But a lot of this depends on the grade of steel that you use.

13. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

i think its more likely to be the future of ipad design than the future of MBP design

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I doubt that many of those iphone design elements make into the next MBP because there is one big difference. Weight is a much bigger issue and also flex. The iphone is a small little device that as long as it is small enough is usually also light enough. In the design of a whole notebook they might aim for different materials.
    Glass is scratch resistant but it is also heavy and it breaks easier.

15. andrewfee macrumors 6502

IPS would be nice, but as they skipped it with this refresh (no reason not to offer it when you're already paying extra for the high-res screen) it doesn't seem like it's a priority for their notebooks.

I can see the plastic strip on the hinge going stainless steel to work as an antenna, but certainly not the whole body.

I would love if they moved to 330 PPI screens (I would have been happy with 1920x1200 on the 15") but that means 4305x2690 on a 15" screen and I'm not sure display technology is there yet at that kind of size. Even if it were, OS X is not resolution independent and there is no way it is going to happen until then. Would be amazing for photo editing though.

As someone else said, I see this as foreshadowing the iPad revision rather than anything MacBook related. If the iPad had some of this (like a 330PPI screen) I would have been a lot more impressed with it.