Will The iPhone 4 Get The New UI?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goftrey, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

iOS 7 looks... Wow.

I'm currently an owner of a HIGHLY customised, jailbroken iPhone 2G & I'm very happy with it. It's fetches my emails, plays music & makes calls just fine. However - I need iOS 7. It's exactly what I asked for & more.

It caught my eye that the iPhone 4 was supported under iOS 7. Great - so what it won't play games etc. I don't need that, I use the phone for well, phoning. I have a Nexus 7 that takes the strain of 3D games & such.

But then it came to mind that Apple are Apple & they may reserve the 'top' feature (which this year is the UI itself) for their newest devices, leaving the older phones & iPods running iOS'lite.

Do you reckon the iPhone 4 (the only A4 based device still supported) will sport the new fancy Ive UI? Or will it keep the skeuomorphic UI complete with the green felt & leather borders of yesteryear?

If the iPhone 4 doesn't get this new UI - it looks like I'll be keeping my 2G & will go on the hunt for a 5th gen iPod Touch.

2. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I believe they said iPhone 4, 4S, and 5s will all get the new UI. But of course, they won't all have the same features.

3. Trevor90 macrumors newbie

Yes
    Here from the Apple site

Features are subject to change. Not all features are available on all devices.
    Panorama format is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation). Square and video formats and swipe to capture are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
    Filters in Camera are available on iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation). Filters in Photos are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
    AirDrop is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires an iCloud account.
    Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply. New female and male voices will be available initially in U.S. English, French, and German.
    Find My iPhone enables you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas.
    iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later), iPad, or iPad mini; a Mac computer with OS X Lion or later; or a PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Outlook 2007 or later or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts, and calendars). Some features require iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.

4. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Okay - judging from this eBay listing - it looks like it will sport the new fancy UI but looks to missing the blurred transparent aspects (in the dock).

I've caved & have just bought a 32GB iPhone 4. Thanks for the replies.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I realize you just bought the thing, but don't forget that this will likely be the last full version update the iPhone 4 ever sees. This may not matter to you, which is fine, but I think it's worth noting.

6. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I didn't buy that exact phone - I just posted that link as it's the only image I've seen of a 4 running iOS7 at all.

And yes I'm fully aware that 7 will be the cutoff point. It'll only be with me to call & text - I was content with my 2G & didn't feel I was really missing out on anything but I got a little bit tired of it & fancied a change.

...iOS probably won't change for the next 6 years anyway! :p

7. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Hopefully Apple works out some performance bugs for the iPhone 4. I installed it on my old unused iPhone 4, and compared to what I'm used to with the iPhone 5, its painfully laggy. Certain actions flow just fine, but many others are choppy and laggy. Quite disappointing considering the iPhone 4 isn't even getting the translucent and parallax eye-candy.