Will the iPhone 4 need a screen protector film?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cherylzyx, Jun 10, 2010.

1. cherylzyx macrumors member

cherylzyx

I'm getting my first iPhone and would like advice on protecting the front screen.

I have an iPod Touch 2nd gen and even with babying the thing it has a scratch. It is just a tiny one but it is noticeable because the light shines through that spot differently. I really have babied it, keeping it in a case, not putting it in my pocket with other things, etc. I would be extremely upset if the same thing were to happen to my iPhone.

Have the materials improved enough with the iPhone 4 not to have to worry about scratches? If I need to buy a protective film, which one? I really love the smooth feel of the glass on my Touch, is there a protective film that preserves that feel?

2. Colella16 macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same thing, because I really don't feel like spending another $25 on the Zagg after I just paid 250$ for the phone and the bumper. I saw how the glass has improved with less fingerprints and scratches but I still want to keep a nice glossy screen at all times. Looking for any comments or opinions.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yep, I want to find out what people think of this too. I love the glass on the iPhones but don't want them to scratch up.

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I've never had a screen protector on my iPhone (which goes against everything I believe) but, I treat my iPhone like a frail crystal egg. I had them on my androids and blackberries but, none of those had touch screens. I had a iPod Touch and had a screen on it for a year or so.

I believe the iPhone 4 will have a Gorilla Glass LIKE screen which is very scratch resistant.

5. TonyJack macrumors newbie

They're saying that the glass on the front and back of the new iPhone is like made of the same glass used on helicopter windshields and is supposed to be scratch proof. You should be able to get some covers for it but it may not need one.

6. cherylzyx thread starter macrumors member

cherylzyx

I didn't think I needed a screen protector for my iPod Touch so I never worried about getting one - I regret that decision now.

I don't plan to take the same risk with my iphone. My theory is that the glass is sturdy but the oliophobic coating can get scratched. But, that's just my own theory.

I'd be heartbroken if my new iphone gets scratched so I've done a lot of research and have decided to go with the Power Support Crystal Film Set. From what I've read here on the forum and reviews online it is the one most people seem happiest with, it doesn't have the 'orange peel' affect or tend to peel up on the sides like I've read reported on the Zagg film.

I started a thread a couple of days ago that produced some good information: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=936867

The best response being this one from sparrky:
    You may not find this helpful lol, but I've tried Bodyguardz, Best Skins Ever, power support, SGP anti-glare and SGP Crystal Clear. Of those, my favorites are Power Support and SGP Crystal Clear. You don't even know they're there. They look just like a naked screen. SGP anti-glare is nice, but makes the screen fuzzy. Those are static-cling type protectors. They look awesome but peel up eventually and tighter cases like sliders will just wreck them. Bodyguardz, BSE, Zagg, etc...(wet application) are all super durable and can withstand slider cases without coming up at the corners, BUT they all have a slight orange-peel effect that may or may not drive you crazy. Bodyguardz is least noticeable, but it's there. If there's a protector out there that's as durable as bodyguardz but looks like power support, that's what I'd go for. I just don't know if that exists.