Will the iPhone 4S/5 be 4G or 4G/LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sal74, Sep 15, 2011.

1. sal74 macrumors member

I don't know the difference between the two chips so please excuse me; however, I really do anticipate that the next iPhone carries the capability of the LTE speeds.

What do you guys think?

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The next iPhone will not have LTE unless Apple has more advanced equipment then the rest of the world. The problem is LTE needs its own special radio along with whatever other radio the phone comes with. Until manufactures get both radios on a single chip I doubt we will be seeing LTE from Apple.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm 99% positive the answer will be no.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Yeh same i don't think that the LTE chips would be very helpful unless apple can somehow set up special radio signal towers.

5. Trash Can macrumors member

Huh? That makes absolutely no sense. Since when does Apple set up any towers? The towers are owned and operated by the carriers.

That said, all indications point to no LTE, but only time will tell.

6. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No one know but apple.

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

After reading this post
    I was trying to say that special towers would be needed in order to use LTE technology and without a company like apple forcing this, the spreading of it might take longer. Does it make more sense now? I might have worded it a bit incorrectly thanx for pointing it out..

8. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

Wait, can the iPhone still be 4G without the LTE?

And if the new iPhone is 4G capable, do I have to upgrade my AT&T plan to use it?