Will the iPhone 5 be able to use T-Mobile's 4G network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LABachlr, Jan 29, 2011.

1. LABachlr macrumors newbie

I know that no one knows any specs for the iPhone 5 whatsoever, but I was wondering if a 4G network (or T-Mobile's HSPA+ network) runs on a different frequency than a 3G network, or if a 4G network in general uses a different technology that is universal for all phones.

My guess, however, is that since T-Mobile's 4G network (or HSPA+ network) is nothing more than a software upgrade to their 3G network (according to one of the reps), that it's going to use the same frequency, unfortunately. So unless Apple adds another frequency to the iPhone 5, us on TMO are still going to have to deal with Edge speeds.

I'm getting tired of having slow speeds with my iPhone 3GS when not on WiFi.

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

No idea. It's possible they could add T-Mobile as the third carrier in the U.S. at WWDC. We know just as much as you do.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

HSPA+ runs off of T-Mobiles 1700/2100MHz frequencies. Since the current iPhone can't run off of their 3G network there's no reason the iPhone 5 would. Unless of course Apple adds support for those frequencies we won't be able to access T-Mobile's '4G' network.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iPhone 4 supports 2100MHz 3G. It's the weird 1700MHz that's the problem.

5. LABachlr thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. Thanks. I figured that was the case. We just have to hope Steve Jobs hooks us up with a 1700MHz frequency on the iPhone 5, however unlikely that may be.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

AT&T=95 million users
    Verizon=94 million users
    Sprint=49 million users
    T-mobile= F amazing 33 million users

1. Steve Jobs is sick and I doubt he will return by WWDC 2011.
    2. If I were apple, I wold release it on Sprint before bring it to t-mobile.

T-mobile doesn't have enough subscribers.

7. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I don't think it really matters. Regardless, I'm pretty sure we'll see a third carrier get the iPhone in the U.S. at WWDC this year. Just my $0.02. ;)

8. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Doubt it. It's easier for Apple to add support for T-Mobiles 1700MHz frequency than Sprints 4G WiMax. Even then, I doubt Applee would want to release a WiMax capable phone until it's deployed in at least what, half of Sprints market?

9. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

IMO T-Mobile would get the iPhone before Sprint for the fact that all Apple would have to do is add another band. With Sprint they would have to make another iPhone to support WiMax. Verizon Att and T-Mobile will be using LTE with most of the world. I don't ever see a WiMax iPhone