Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I definitely want to buy the iPhone 5 when it is released but I'd prefer to buy the device unlocked if possible. Has anyone heard anything about whether this will be offered or not?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Unlocked no contract iPhone on day 1?

Do you guys think the no-contract unlocked iPhone will be available day 1? Or will Apple give carriers a chance to lock people in first then release it later on?

I really hope I can pre-order the no contract iPhone cause quite frankly I am getting tired of AT&T and dropped calls so I don't want to get locked in to a contract in case I need to make a move in the next year (I would switch now but I have 2 other lines under contract)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
With the iPhone 4 unlocked ones were available on day 1 in Europe but only recently in the US. It may be the same this time around or it may not. It's anyone's guess.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Won't be a problem here. Unlocked is a requirement, but it will probably be a week or two after the USA launch

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Won't be a problem here. Unlocked is a requirement, but it will probably be a week or two after the USA launch

same here in the UK, although selling phones unlocked is not a requirement apple has sold the iphone unlocked since o2 lost its exclusivity (much like every phone available) and all indications point to the UK getting the new iphone the same day as the US :D so even better.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Do you guys think the no-contract unlocked iPhone will be available day 1? Or will Apple give carriers a chance to lock people in first then release it later on?

I really hope I can pre-order the no contract iPhone cause quite frankly I am getting tired of AT&T and dropped calls so I don't want to get locked in to a contract in case I need to make a move in the next year (I would switch now but I have 2 other lines under contract)

Why not just pay no-commitment pricing? You don't need unlocked to avoid a 2-year contract.

And, BTW, at least for the iPhone 4, ETF + contract price < Unlocked price/no-commitment price

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Why not just pay no-commitment pricing? You don't need unlocked to avoid a 2-year contract.

And, BTW, at least for the iPhone 4, ETF + contract price < Unlocked price/no-commitment price

well if I'm going to pay no commitment pricing I might as well get an unlocked phone. I don't want to pay no commitment but still get a phone thats locked to one carrier.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
AT&T gives me the code upon delivery since I travel internationally and have been buying from them for years. It's a great free service. AT&T has been as good of an experience as Apple provides. I'm very satisfied.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
AT&T gives me the code upon delivery since I travel internationally and have been buying from them for years. It's a great free service. AT&T has been as good of an experience as Apple provides. I'm very satisfied.

What are you saying about a "code" :confused: theres no such thing as unlocking iphone with a code ; I have my AT&T iphone 4 "factory unlocked" some months ago when CutYourSim offered for at&T phones too bad it only lasted for 1 day or 2 cant remember but a lot of people where thinking it was all BS but :D it wasnt , mine still unlocked and even on IOS 5 with every update i still get honored with the msg: "Congratulations your Iphone have been unlocked" :apple: But on that CODE subject that is complete BS , dont get fooled people theres no unlocking code the websites that offer factory unlock just have someone in different carriers and they unlock the phone by sending the IMEI to apple and they update on the server so itunes unlock .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.