Will the iPhone 5/ iPhone 4S be dual-band with both CDMA and GSM support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Sep 14, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

What is the probability that the next iPhone is dual band with both CDMA and GSM support in the same phone? My wife and I are currently on AT&T, but we might switch to Verizon if the next phone can support a SIM card as well.

We both travel internationally, so having a phone that can take international SIM cards in important for us while enjoying the benefits of the Verizon network while in the US.

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The Verizon iPhone 4 is a CDMA and GSM phone but lacks a SIM card slot. It's definitely possible but ultimately up to the carriers to allow it or not. Obviously Apple could also sell an unlocked full price iPhone with a SIM slot even if the carriers don't want it.

3. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

If Apple does end up making a dual band phone and we end up going with Verizon, can we use data and voice at the same time? I know you can't do that on current Verizon iPhones.

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Only if the iPhone is LTE capable. If it still runs off the CDMA network you will not be able to multitask between voice and data.

5. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you are on 3G (not 4G)....which network has better data speeds for mobile web browsing etc. on smart phones - AT&T or Verizon?

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

GSM with enhanced HSPA+ back-haul is faster then Verizons CDMA 3G. And don't be confused about HSPA+ and AT&Ts LTE. HSPA+ is just a much higher standard of 3G while LTE is true 4G which will be leading us into the future.

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Currently no one knows for sure, but there's a pretty good chance it'll support both of those carriers (and quite possibly Sprint/T-Mobile) with one device.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Not likely the next phone, but we will see a dual-radio phone in the future, with a programmable SIM card as well. No slot...

-t

9. NJFP macrumors 6502

Really?! How cool. To be clear, we travel to Aruba which is GSM ONLY. Our previous Verizon CDMA phones don't work there. You're saying our new iP4's will? Oh, happy day!!!

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you misread something. The verizon phone might have the capability (according to the previous poster), but you still need a sim slot.
    ETA: While it makes sense to have a dual mode phone, nobody but Steve, Cook and whoever worked on the phone. Hold your horses for the official announcement.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The Verizon iPhone 4 has a dual mode baseband chip, but it's missing GSM related power amps and filters.

However, Verizon usually sells a lot of "world" phones with both CDMA and GSM, so I can see them requesting a dual mode version with a SIM slot.

(No doubt the idea of having only a single device to manufacturer is one reason why Apple tried to push the idea of an internal SIM replacement. No need for a spacetaking slot.)

It could if the chip also supported SVDO (simultaneous voice and EVDO 3G), such as the HTC Thunderbolt has. But then it'd be more likely to have a dual mode CDMA and LTE setup than CDMA and GSM.

Or perhaps the iPhone 5 delay is because of waiting for a CDMA/GSM/LTE solution. Seems a bit early for that, though.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

In my region, Philly AT&T has better data speeds than Verizon. I was contemplating switching to Verizon and tested a VZW iPhone. AT&T data speeds were noticeably faster.

Of course this depends on location.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

LTE actually isn't true 4G. The 4G standard has been set much higher than what LTE speeds are at. LTE is just marketed as 4G though factually it isn't. REAL 4G is still in testing and we won't see it available for a few years.

14. cursedearth macrumors member

I clearly remember there was a leaked picture showing the next iPhone antenna band having a SIM card slot along with the four slits on either side just like the Verizon iPhone 4.

If this rumor is anything to go by, then yes, the next iPhone will be GSM/CDMA compatible .

15. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

The next phone (be it 4S or 5 or both) will be single platform for all carriers. That much I know. Beyond that my source has become as dry as this Texas weather.

16. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I'm looking forward to the single platform iP. The whole reason I stayed with my BB Storm2 over a new iP4 (on Verizon) is because I need GSM. I'm quite stoked to get my hands on the iP5. I've been loading up my Touch with all kinds of apps trying them out ahead of the new phone release. :D