Will the iPhone 5 run on T-Mobiles 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wiggum, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Wiggum macrumors member

Title says it all, will the universal Qualcomm chip rumored to be going in it support frequencies?

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There was a rumor a while back accompanied with a picture of an iPhone 4 running T-Mobile with 3G, so it is entirely possible that the new one will support T-Mobile. Especially with the cessation of the exclusivity contract.

It is also entirely possible that it was an AT&T iPhone and some smartass was using FakeCarrier.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Knowing Apple, I think this time around they will try their hardest to make one product instead of multiples.

That said, especially with AT&T maybe buying T-mobile, it would be in everyones best interests if Apple made an iPhone 5 that was GSM/CDMA (doubt LTE yet, I could be wrong) compatible on more than just a few spectrums so that it could be Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and T-mobile compatible if the right deals fall into place.

4. ali9686 macrumors member

ali9686

I hope apple uses a penta-band 3G radio like nokia has been doing.

5. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I thought they'd make a world phone, but with the iPad 2 having both AT&T and Verizon models, I'm not so sure anymore.

If it does come out on T-Mobile, there's no point in selling themselves to AT&T. Customers would probably flock to them who want to use GSM/HSPA.

6. finnybean macrumors newbie

It should be available with all operators ideally but initially Apple will play with deal with AT&T only as they do it every time whenever a new device is launched. May be later on it will be available with other operators.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

They only 'played the deal' with AT&T because there was a contract in place that said that they had to. That contract no longer exists so what a lot of people are speculating is that it will be available on more than one carrier. Why would Apple limit themselves to AT&T when they are no longer legally obligated?

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not really... T-Mobile has less coverage than AT&T and they throttle you down to EDGE speeds once you hit 2GB of data.
    I see no advantage of going to T-Mobile other than to say you're not on AT&T.
    And DT is hell bent on dumping T-Mobile USA. Read their last board meeting write up. They stopped all support of T-Mobile USA. They are letting it die as a company.
    Even if the AT&T deal falls through, they will simply pocket the earnest money and then sell it off in parts.

9. macinnv macrumors regular

I believe they actually throttle you at 5gigs. The iPhone may not be made available on T-Mo, especially at launch. Does Apple ever add carriers on launch day?

However, this time it may have the proper frequency bands allowing you to buy one unlocked and still recieve 3g. If you consider ATT will not have LTE established right away when the merger completes, they may want to continue using T-Mobiles bands temporarily to clear congestion. From Apple's point of view, adding the AWS bands allows them to also add additional carriers in Canada, Japan and Chile.

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Why do people go on about throttling like it's some terrible thing? Honestly I prefer it to the hard cap limits other carriers are using for their tiered data plans. Sorry if I'm not rich enough for you, but I'd rather get slowed down Internet after reaching my limit but still be able to use it rather than go over my limit and have to pay fees for continuing to use it.

As for addressing what the OP is asking; I hope T-Mobile gets the next iPhone. I have never had any problems with their service in my area. I will continue to use them until the very end.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

T-Mobile uses 1700 for their uplink so only really a tiny portion more to support. Its basically a firmware upgrade....1700 uplink could easily be supported as it is 1800 GSM's uplink frequency which has been supported on the iPhone since the first!

12. itsalexaye macrumors regular

yea especially if they are sold unlocked. I remember not to long ago T-Mobile said they had 1 million iPhones running on their network.