Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Does anyone see Apple offering two models this year? I seen on the news several times that they are soon to offer a cheaper model iPhone.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Just an honest question I would like opinions on. Rumors point to Apple releasing the iPhone 5S, possibly back to the original iPhone launch time frame which is typically June / July, not the delayed October launch. But that the 5S will still be the exact same size and design of the current iPhone 5, but with faster internals, and supposedly a freshened up iOS7.

Saying all that, will that be enough for Apple to fend off the big contenders this year, and hold their ground ? Or by keeping the same iPhone 5 design, will sales slowly start to stale a little, and hurt them a bit ?

- Samsung Galaxy S4, which like it or not, will spend crazy cash on advertising the heck out of the S4 worldwide, and will be a hot seller.

- HTC's One phone could be popular as well.

- Google's Nexus-Five in Summer / Fall, but the Nexus line has never been a big seller or really no competition whatsoever to Apple. But each year, the Nexus line is more popular than the previous version, it is slowly gaining traction year by year.

Or does Apple need to come out a with a fresh brand new design now, with a 4.3" / 4.5" screen now, with a major revamp of iOS7, with Widgets or Live Tiles, etc... ?

I think alot of people will be disappointed with the 5s as i think it will be the same ol Apple recipe and i think alot of people who have had an Apple for along time will seriously consider switching if nothing more then to just have a change.

----------

Does anyone see Apple offering two models this year? I seen on the news several times that they are soon to offer a cheaper model iPhone.

As far as Apple are concerned they are offering a cheaper phone, the 4 and 4S.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I don't see any reason why Apple would not be able to compete. All the 4S users who didn't early upgrade will be ready. And aside from that, Apple's fan base is solid. Maybe the days of everyone being captivated are slipping because the competition has gotten better, but there are millions of people out there who would rather use nothing if they can't use Apple.

Samsung basically adopted Apple's "s" policy with the Galaxy S4. Which I think is fine, but I know it upsets a lot of people. What that says to me is that Samsung, Apple's #1 competition, didn't try all that hard to further distinguish itself and "steal" users away from Apple.

The line is so clearly drawn now, I honestly don't think Apple is concerned about Android (Samsung) or vice versa. Are Windows and OSX still at war? Eventually it all dies down, there is plenty of room and diversity among users for each company to be insanely successful. There is no one magical mobile OS to rule them all.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I don't see any reason why Apple would not be able to compete. All the 4S users who didn't early upgrade will be ready.
Certainly not all of them. I gave up when the iPhone 5 was announced and have already moved on. So this is one 4S owner who has already used his upgrade on another phone (Note 2 in my case).

Michael

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't see any reason why Apple would not be able to compete. All the 4S users who didn't early upgrade will be ready. And aside from that, Apple's fan base is solid. Maybe the days of everyone being captivated are slipping because the competition has gotten better, but there are millions of people out there who would rather use nothing if they can't use Apple.

I agree. Apple fans are die hard. But RIM/Blackberry fans were die hard too, and you see what happens when they became too slow to get with the times.

Samsung basically adopted Apple's "s" policy with the Galaxy S4. Which I think is fine, but I know it upsets a lot of people. What that says to me is that Samsung, Apple's #1 competition, didn't try all that hard to further distinguish itself and "steal" users away from Apple.

This is what I don't understand. Apple's policy? This unwritten policy existed before the iPhone. Most companies don't introduce and any drastic design change on a same model so quickly, especially right after the previous version was a best seller.

The line is so clearly drawn now, I honestly don't think Apple is concerned about Android (Samsung) or vice versa. Are Windows and OSX still at war? Eventually it all dies down, there is plenty of room and diversity among users for each company to be insanely successful. There is no one magical mobile OS to rule them all.

Of course they are concerned with each other. It's not really a war of survival, more like a brand war for the #1 spot.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
This is what I don't understand. Apple's policy? This unwritten policy existed before the iPhone. Most companies don't introduce and any drastic design change on a same model so quickly, especially right after the previous version was a best seller.

Believe me, I agree with you. It's more or less the people on this forum who think a design change means everything. The last car I bought was a 2006 and the 2013 version is almost identical to the eye. Improvements have almost nothing to do with the exterior.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Apple used to create the market, now the market has shifted toward larger phones, more user customization, more life productivity type apps built in.

Apple is behind in that market. Sure, die hard Apple fans can say Apple doesn't follow or iPhone users do not want what Samsung, HTC or Sony are offering, but if you combine sales of the highend Samsung, HTC, Sony, new BB and N4 with the number of jailbroken iPhones, the answer is clearly YES, people want bigger phone screen and people want a more customizable OS.

Apple needs to start giving people what they want, or come out with something new that creates the same want the iPhone originally did.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
They really do need two phone sizes...Small screens fit great in the hand and that comes in handy for certain situations. Large screens don't fit great in the hand, but are so much nicer to look at.

I'd have a small one for people that do more talking/navigating and a big one for people that do more looking.

I don't watch a lot of movies on my iPhone 4S, but do talk and text a lot. I also navigate regularly. A small screen is perfect for this, especially when driving a lot. My iPad gets pulled out when I'm stationary. I had a gs3 and hated its size when trying to use it while out and about.

On the go people: 3.5in screen.
Stationary people:4.5-5in screen (wider as well).

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Believe me, I agree with you. It's more or less the people on this forum who think a design change means everything. The last car I bought was a 2006 and the 2013 version is almost identical to the eye. Improvements have almost nothing to do with the exterior.

You can't really compare phones to cars. There are more reasons to buy a newer car with the same design, as cars wear out as they get older and have more miles on the clock, are more likely to break down etc

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Apple used to create the market, now the market has shifted toward larger phones, more user customization, more life productivity type apps built in.

Apple is behind in that market. Sure, die hard Apple fans can say Apple doesn't follow or iPhone users do not want what Samsung, HTC or Sony are offering, but if you combine sales of the highend Samsung (roughly 130 million to date), HTC, Sony, new BB and N4 (2 million?) with the number of jailbroken iPhones (roughly 7 million), the answer is clearly YES, people want bigger phone screen and people want a more customizable OS.

Apple needs to start giving people what they want, or come out with something new that creates the same want the iPhone originally did.

My numbers may not be exact, but since Samsung released the first Galaxy S, Apple has sold over 250 million iPhones....given those three ballpark numbers I was able to find, HTC, Sony and the new BB would've had to sell about 110 million between the two of them to equal Apple sales of the iPhone 4 + iPhone 4S + iPhone 5.....so we need the total high-end sales of 4 major competitors to make a case that Apple's iPhone sales are slipping?

Why do people insist with this "doom and gloom"....it works for a vast number of users, why, just because you and your friends have a different preference, does this mean Apple isn't giving people what they want. How is this proving Apple is a huge market player/mover.....

I give up trying to reason with a lot of the clowns on here. I get it - Apple will ALWAYS be on the verge of falling off a cliff....

Meanwhile they'll post record profits and revenue quarter after quarter after quarter....

Sincerely,

Completely Satisfied and intelligent iPhone 5 user

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
TBH I dont give a tinkers cuss about who sells more or less than who, I have no shares or interests in any tech company. So long as there is a plethora of devices to choose from is all that really what concerns me, so long as I can pick a high end phone that suits me and gives me some pleasure, then all the other phone manufactures can go and do one until it is time for me to change phones again.

Of course I will take an interest in their products, but I am not going to champion one company over another through their sales, my dads bigger than your dad sort of thing. I have as much interest in that as they have in me. Zilsch.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Just an honest question I would like opinions on. Rumors point to Apple releasing the iPhone 5S, possibly back to the original iPhone launch time frame which is typically June / July, not the delayed October launch. But that the 5S will still be the exact same size and design of the current iPhone 5, but with faster internals, and supposedly a freshened up iOS7.

Saying all that, will that be enough for Apple to fend off the big contenders this year, and hold their ground ? Or by keeping the same iPhone 5 design, will sales slowly start to stale a little, and hurt them a bit ?

- Samsung Galaxy S4, which like it or not, will spend crazy cash on advertising the heck out of the S4 worldwide, and will be a hot seller.

- HTC's One phone could be popular as well.

- Google's Nexus-Five in Summer / Fall, but the Nexus line has never been a big seller or really no competition whatsoever to Apple. But each year, the Nexus line is more popular than the previous version, it is slowly gaining traction year by year.

Or does Apple need to come out a with a fresh brand new design now, with a 4.3" / 4.5" screen now, with a major revamp of iOS7, with Widgets or Live Tiles, etc... ?

Dont know till there is a legit leak of what the 5S brings. However, it doesnt really matter, the iPhone will always sell well but imo it already is behind Android.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
My numbers may not be exact, but since Samsung released the first Galaxy S, Apple has sold over 250 million iPhones....given those three ballpark numbers I was able to find, HTC, Sony and the new BB would've had to sell about 110 million between the two of them to equal Apple sales of the iPhone 4 + iPhone 4S + iPhone 5.....so we need the total high-end sales of 4 major competitors to make a case that Apple's iPhone sales are slipping?

Why do people insist with this "doom and gloom"....it works for a vast number of users, why, just because you and your friends have a different preference, does this mean Apple isn't giving people what they want. How is this proving Apple is a huge market player/mover.....

I give up trying to reason with a lot of the clowns on here. I get it - Apple will ALWAYS be on the verge of falling off a cliff....

Meanwhile they'll post record profits and revenue quarter after quarter after quarter....

Sincerely,

I know good and well iphone sales want drop in a large sum for a long time or ever. What does have to be in the back of Apple's and Apple fans minds is how much android has progressed over the last couple of years. Since ICS was introduced android has been getting more and more popular because it made an OS that everyone can use. Not just tech people.

Let's take you for example you have told me on several occasions that you are a loyal iphone user. You also told me that you got the nexus 4. Android has to be doing something right for you to even try it right? Also there are tons of people doing the same thing you are. What if you had gotten the nexus 4 and really love it, and wanted to switch? I know you still love your iPhone, but for those other thousands and thousands of people that tried android just like you I am sure there are plenty that switch completely to android. Now I am not saying Apple is in trouble at this point or maybe in the next 2 years, but if they keep advancing with every update the way they are. They may just have something great in the next few years. 3 years ago you would never thought about trying android, but just a few months ago you did. Android has given iphone users something to think about.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I know good and well iphone sales want drop in a large sum for a long time or ever. What does have to be in the back of Apple's and Apple fans minds is how much android has progressed over the last couple of years. Since ICS was introduced android has been getting more and more popular because it made an OS that everyone can use. Not just tech people.

Let's take you for example you have told me on several occasions that you are a loyal iphone user. You also told me that you got the nexus 4. Android has to be doing something right for you to even try it right? Also there are tons of people doing the same thing you are. What if you had gotten the nexus 4 and really love it, and wanted to switch? I know you still love your iPhone, but for those other thousands and thousands of people that tried android just like you I am sure there are plenty that switch completely to android. Now I am not saying Apple is in trouble at this point or maybe in the next 2 years, but if they keep advancing with every update the way they are. They may just have something great in the next few years. 3 years ago you would never thought about trying android, but just a few months ago you did. Android has given iphone users something to think about.

True...whe the first Android came out and i ws using my iPhone, ...the G1 didnt interest me when i tried it. I didnt become interested til they the Galaxy 1 (Vibrant for me) came out and that was still on Eclair. Thats when i switched. Since Eclair, it has really taken a huge step.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
You can't really compare phones to cars. There are more reasons to buy a newer car with the same design, as cars wear out as they get older and have more miles on the clock, are more likely to break down etc

Yeah, so look at everything else. The computer I bought a couple years ago looks a heck of a lot like computers that came out years before it, and computers that are still coming out today. All the appliances in my house look like their ten years older counterparts. I already spoke of my car. The cell phone is the only gadget I can think of that is held to such a standard. People on this forum had meltdowns when the 4S was revealed and looked identical to an iPhone 4. Same goes for Samsung's S4- people are going nuts because it looks a lot like an S3.

I don't understand the emphasis on the exterior. And I never will. Yeah you want it to be comfortable and to fit in your pocket, and hopefully be durable. But other than that I really don't care if it looks similar to a previous generation.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
They'll compete on brand alone. Take that to mean what you will.

I recently got a note 2 trading my iphone 5 for it. I still think ios had a lot to offer.

Ios I feel is still smoother and more fluid then this device comparing stock devices. That being said once you root an android device I feel it becomes the faster device. I think what slows down Android devices at stock settings is that carriers load their bloatware which can be removed with a root.

For MOST people that don't want to go through troubleshooting with rooting the iphone is for them.

I feel like the iphone has a minimalist feel which allot of people can appreciate. I enjoy all the features of the note 2 but some people don't want to go through too much trouble with learning a new device and just want a smooth simple device.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Sincerely,

I love how any legiment point that is made about Android is ignored. You will rail on people all you want about how the numbers are all in Apple's favor. You don't have problem telling people when you think you are right, but when it comes to someone else telling you how it is then there is nothing from you. Like I said it sure says a lot when a devoted iphone user buys an android phone and keeps it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I love how any legiment point that is made about Android is ignored. You will rail on people all you want about how the numbers are all in Apple's favor. You don't have problem telling people when you think you are right, but when it comes to someone else telling you how it is then there is nothing from you. Like I said it sure says a lot when a devoted iphone user buys an android phone and keeps it.

Lol....

(1) I bought a Nexus 4 and kept it because I have two phone lines - one personal and one for work. I saw no reason to carry around two iPhones and given my general interest in technology, I decided to get an Android. If I had to pick one over the other I'd keep my iPhone 5.

(2) I'm not dismissing any valid points about Android, simply tempering the rabid fanboyism....the poster I quoted listed 4 Android OEMs as proof people are clamoring for larger screens and Android "freedom". I simply pointed out that those 4 combined still barely reach the level of sales Apple has with the last three iPhones.

(3) The assertion that Apple or "fans of Apple" are concerned with Android's sales is ridiculous....I buy what I want. I couldn't care less if Android was gaining, losing or staying the same as far as sales/marketshare. And I provided evidence to the fact Apple likely isn't concerned with Android - more that they want to make the best devices they can according to their philosophy, both design and software-wise.

This "us vs. them" crap is annoying and childish. Android gets a free pass all the time, so don't give me the sob story that legitimate points on Android are ignored. There are double standards everywhere when it comes to this stuff.

I will happily use both platforms until I no longer can justify the second phone line. The more I've used both, the more I realize these phones are very similar....neither causes me to rethink my life or change some deep thing about myself. The smartphone doesn't change my usage, I use the smartphone how I want to - which means I use both my N4 and iPhone 5 for the same things in generally the same manner - with the slight wrinkles or each platform.

Officially count me out of this pissing contest. People will always bash the iPhone and call for Apple's demise - just as people will always bash Android and say its buggy/laggy. When the truth is both are excellent OSes and any of the flagship smartphones are superb. Its all about preference.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010

Its not as big an indication as you'd like. A lot of geeks own more than one cellphone due to general interests in tech. Similar pattern as most business workers carry a Blackberry and an iPhone/Android phone.

General consumers have just the one. Either an iPhone or other. Numbers show a large of those are iPhone owners and surveys show those iPhone owners to be satisfied in addition.

Android is better no doubt. But Apple isn't going to die anytime soon either. Precisely because market share =/= money in the bank.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Lol....

(1) I bought a Nexus 4 and kept it because I have two phone lines - one personal and one for work. I saw no reason to carry around two iPhones and given my general interest in technology, I decided to get an Android. If I had to pick one over the other I'd keep my iPhone 5.

(2) I'm not dismissing any valid points about Android, simply tempering the rabid fanboyism....the poster I quoted listed 4 Android OEMs as proof people are clamoring for larger screens and Android "freedom". I simply pointed out that those 4 combined still barely reach the level of sales Apple has with the last three iPhones.

(3) The assertion that Apple or "fans of Apple" are concerned with Android's sales is ridiculous....I buy what I want. I couldn't care less if Android was gaining, losing or staying the same as far as sales/marketshare. And I provided evidence to the fact Apple likely isn't concerned with Android - more that they want to make the best devices they can according to their philosophy, both design and software-wise.

This "us vs. them" crap is annoying and childish. Android gets a free pass all the time, so don't give me the sob story that legitimate points on Android are ignored. There are double standards everywhere when it comes to this stuff.

I will happily use both platforms until I no longer can justify the second phone line. The more I've used both, the more I realize these phones are very similar....neither causes me to rethink my life or change some deep thing about myself. The smartphone doesn't change my usage, I use the smartphone how I want to - which means I use both my N4 and iPhone 5 for the same things in generally the same manner - with the slight wrinkles or each platform.

Officially count me out of this pissing contest. People will always bash the iPhone and call for Apple's demise - just as people will always bash Android and say its buggy/laggy. When the truth is both are excellent OSes and any of the flagship smartphones are superb. Its all about preference.

Ok so how long have you had two line? You have called me out on a number of occasions trying to sell me on the numbers in terms of sales. You then called someone else out a out having 3 OEMs to make the sales numbers of the iphone. Well I am telling you the numbers are not the whole story. You can stick with that all you want, but it will only take you so far.

I am no android fanboy or Apple one for that matter. I like both, but I understand that android is growing and Apple at some point going to have to face that. You can claim the sales numbers all you want, but the one thing you and many many other people forget is the sales grain Samsung and other OEMs have had in the last 2 years. They are on the rise and that fact can't keep being ignored.

I don't know if it was marketing or you using an android phone, but something got you to buy that nexus 4. On top of that something about that nexus 4 has to be good for you to keep 2nd lines of service. I am not here to say which is better, but you continue to try to do that.

On your point 3. You continue to argue sales number, so you must care something about them. Sure you buy what you want, but you have no problem telling people o this forum what you like and don't like. Why do you keep continuing try to make people think you are objective? You clearly are not.

----------

Its not as big an indication as you'd like. Most geeks have own more than one cellphone due to general interests in tech. Similar pattern as most business workers carry a Blackberry and an iPhone/Android phone.

General consumers have just the one. Either an iPhone or other. Numbers show a large of those are iPhone owners and surveys show those iPhone owners to be satisfied in addition.

Android is better no doubt. But Apple isn't going to die anytime soon either.

Never said Apple or the iPhone would die anytime soon. I said just the opposite. I think Apple will be around for a long time, but I don't believe they will be as dominant as they are tight now.

I was saying that he carries 2 phones, and yes one of them is business the other is his own personal. If the iphone is as great as he tries to make it sound why then would you buy the nexus 4? I have a note 2 and love it. I like android and iOS, but right now android suits my needs in a smartphone better. I am thinking about getting the nexus 4 to go along side my note 2.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Who knows, honestly? Their hypothetical 5S might hypothetically compete with the S4 or One, or might not. Great. What a fruitful discussion.

If the 5S is just a processor and camera bump of the 5, then I'd say it would struggle to attract non-fanboys. But really, these conversations are pointless for the time being.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Ok so how long have you had two line? You have called me out on a number of occasions trying to sell me on the numbers in terms of sales. You then called someone else out a out having 3 OEMs to make the sales numbers of the iphone. Well I am telling you the numbers are not the whole story. You can stick with that all you want, but it will only take you so far.

I did so because that was what the argument was about - sales numbers. I simply stated the facts and get berated for it? I've had two lines since I began working for my current company. I'm not trying to "sell" anyone, simply providing both points of view - a practice not very well taken by some apparently.

I am no android fanboy or Apple one for that matter. I like both, but I understand that android is growing and Apple at some point going to have to face that. You can claim the sales numbers all you want, but the one thing you and many many other people forget is the sales grain Samsung and other OEMs have had in the last 2 years. They are on the rise and that fact can't keep being ignored.

I don't know if it was marketing or you using an android phone, but something got you to buy that nexus 4. On top of that something about that nexus 4 has to be good for you to keep 2nd lines of service. I am not here to say which is better, but you continue to try to do that.

Its quite obvious Android is growing and I never argued against that fact. You'd have to be an idiot not to understand or see it. I simply argued against the fact that Android's growth worries Apple (or fans of Apple). It's not as though Apple will cease to exist anytime soon because of Android's growth. Why should I (a fan of Apple) or Apple themselves be concerned with anything more than what Apple is doing currently?

Also, I don't pay for both lines of service - one is a company paid line, the other is my personal line. I have both separate because I want personal calls and business calls separate, despite what Samsung is trying to market. Plus, as I said - I'm a tech-junkie. I like technology and henceforth am interested and curious about it. I decided to try out Android and like it. I picked the Nexus 4 because it hits 4/5 on my criteria list which I've posted in other forums.

[QUOTE[On your point 3. You continue to argue sales number, so you must care something about them. Sure you buy what you want, but you have no problem telling people o this forum what you like and don't like. Why do you keep continuing try to make people think you are objective? You clearly are not.[/QUOTE]

What I care about is one-sided arguments and people spouting "facts" without presenting any sort of context - or sometimes not fully understanding what they are saying? I've made it quite clear numerous times here I prefer Apple. I have always made that clear. I do like to think I try to look at things objectively and I very much enjoy Android and appreciate a great many things about it. My preferences and opinions one way or another don't negate the fact that people say ridiculous things on these forums (about Apple and Android) and in the spirit of debate and discussion (which is what a forum is for by the way) I simply provide alternative arguments with logic and fact and always state that something is my opinion when given.

You are taking my comments to be too widespread. I am making no general statements about Android or Apple or anything else. Simply:

Apple will be concerned with Android's growth when Apple itself is hurting (which record profits and revenue last quarter would show they are not). And despite impressive gains by Samsung, it still takes FOUR Android OEMs to match Apple's sales of their last 3 iPhone models.

Assume what you will and accept the consequences for your assumptions. Don't put words in my mouth.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Never said Apple or the iPhone would die anytime soon. I said just the opposite. I think Apple will be around for a long time, but I don't believe they will be as dominant as they are tight now.

Fair enough. I don't think market domination is Apple's primary goal either. They've always targetted a certain niche of the market with their hardware. iPhones just happened to take off because they were such a revelation in 2007. Eventually things will revert back to that niche market again.

I was saying that he carries 2 phones, and yes one of them is business the other is his own personal. If the iphone is as great as he tries to make it sound why then would you buy the nexus 4? I have a note 2 and love it. I like android and iOS, but right now android suits my needs in a smartphone better. I am thinking about getting the nexus 4 to go along side my note 2.

...and iOS suits his which is why it is still his daily driver. You can have phones from different platforms but still prefer one of those platforms. For you (and others) Android, for him (and others) iOS.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I did so because that was what the argument was about - sales numbers. I simply stated the facts and get berated for it? I've had two lines since I began working for my current company. I'm not trying to "sell" anyone, simply providing both points of view - a practice not very well taken by some apparently.

Its quite obvious Android is growing and I never argued against that fact. You'd have to be an idiot not to understand or see it. I simply argued against the fact that Android's growth worries Apple (or fans of Apple). It's not as though Apple will cease to exist anytime soon because of Android's growth. Why should I (a fan of Apple) or Apple themselves be concerned with anything more than what Apple is doing currently?

Also, I don't pay for both lines of service - one is a company paid line, the other is my personal line. I have both separate because I want personal calls and business calls separate, despite what Samsung is trying to market. Plus, as I said - I'm a tech-junkie. I like technology and henceforth am interested and curious about it. I decided to try out Android and like it. I picked the Nexus 4 because it hits 4/5 on my criteria list which I've posted in other forums.

[QUOTE[On your point 3. You continue to argue sales number, so you must care something about them. Sure you buy what you want, but you have no problem telling people o this forum what you like and don't like. Why do you keep continuing try to make people think you are objective? You clearly are not.

What I care about is one-sided arguments and people spouting "facts" without presenting any sort of context - or sometimes not fully understanding what they are saying? I've made it quite clear numerous times here I prefer Apple. I have always made that clear. I do like to think I try to look at things objectively and I very much enjoy Android and appreciate a great many things about it. My preferences and opinions one way or another don't negate the fact that people say ridiculous things on these forums (about Apple and Android) and in the spirit of debate and discussion (which is what a forum is for by the way) I simply provide alternative arguments with logic and fact and always state that something is my opinion when given.

You are taking my comments to be too widespread. I am making no general statements about Android or Apple or anything else. Simply:

Apple will be concerned with Android's growth when Apple itself is hurting (which record profits and revenue last quarter would show they are not). And despite impressive gains by Samsung, it still takes FOUR Android OEMs to match Apple's sales of their last 3 iPhone models.

Assume what you will and accept the consequences for your assumptions. Don't put words in my mouth.[/QUOTE]

I am not putting words in your month. Ok for those years that you have had 2 lines one business that you do not pay for and the other your personal line. How long have you used 2 iphones? My point is sure the number say Apple is still huge, and as I said before I don't think Apple is going anywhere as of now. As you can see android has come a long way and got you interested. An apple fan I might add. That would not have happened 3 years ago. You can say that it takes 3 OEMs to equal iphone sales, but at someone point does that not mean those customers are not buying iphones? Those numbers keep going up year after year, so I would think at some point those sales might start cutting into iphone sales.

I really don't want to argue numbers with you I just want to say things are changing faster than people want to realize. I just wanted to point that is was kind of funny you support Apple very hard, but yet you got the nexus 4. I think it shows how much android is growing.

----------

Fair enough. I don't think market domination is Apple's primary goal either. They've always targetted a certain niche of the market with their hardware. iPhones just happened to take off because they were such a revelation in 2007. Eventually things will revert back to that niche market again.

...and iOS suits his which is why it is still his daily driver. You can have phones from different platforms but still prefer one of those platforms. For you (and others) Android, for him (and others) iOS.

Yea I get it, but my point was that he has had the 2 lines for several years, and it was not until the nexus 4 came out that he got an android. Android is going a becoming much better than it once was. This number domination thing apple fans keep holding on to want keep lasting. Like you said that was never Apple's intent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.