Will the iPhone 5s get iOS 9 and 10

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jordan246, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Jordan246 macrumors regular

Jordan246

What do you guys think do you think the iPhone 5s will get iOS 9 and 10 pleases respond if you think it will

2. cynics macrumors G4

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Do you think it wouldn't?

5. satchmo macrumors 68000

How well do you think the 5s would run iOS9 and 64 bit apps?
    Does it have a good 2 years left?

I have a 4s and I'm sitting on the fence between a 5s or going with an iPhone 6.

6. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

I am guessing that the iPhone 5S will be supported for a good while. Probably far longer than previous iPhones.

7. plantje macrumors newbie

plantje

Shouldn't be a problem, the A7 CPU is a fast one. By comparison the A8 in the iphone6 only has an 20% faster CPU. But maybe to make newer iPhone models more appealing they won't give older models some key features, like before with the iphone 4 not getting Siri. But basic IOS improvements will be supported on the 5s for the next few years.

8. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I think so since A7 is slightly slower than A8.
    Buy the 5S if you really like the 4'' display, otherwise iPhone 6 is really better because of the screen size.

9. x34 macrumors 6502

yes it will, since it basically has nearly the same power as iphone 6.

10. Ibaorus macrumors member

Yeah, I think it will, not sure how well it can perform though.

11. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The 5S and 6 aren't that much different spec and performance wise. So I don't see a reason why the 5S wouldn't be upgraded. 1gb of RAM WILL become an issue in latter releases. Especially if the 6S ends up with 2gb.

12. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

The A7 processor inside the 5s was huge leap in performance, and it marked the transition to a 64-bit platform. The A8 focused on reducing energy consumption, which was a necessary trade-off because of the larger screen and higher graphics resolution.

Because both the A7 and A8 only package 1 GB of RAM, and the A8 represents only about a 20% increase in processing power, I would expect the A7 to remain viable for about as long as the A8.

As with other iOS updates, I think you're safe with the first major OS upgrade. But, you'll need to tread cautiously for any major OS upgrades afterwards, and don't make the leap until Apple goes through multiple iterations of bug fixes and optimizations. With both iOS 7 and iOS 8, older devices slowed down much more noticeably in the early releases, and took multiple updates before the speed improved.

On my 5s, upgrading to iOS 8 was a no brainer, and I upgraded on the first day. It added some new features and with version 8.1.1, the speed and stability are now on par with iOS 7.1.2. With iOS 9, I'll probably wait and see first, and maybe wait for a minor interval update or two before making the upgrade.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The first two iPhones supported 3 OSes.
    The next two phones supported 4 OSes.
    And the four following that are undetermined. (4S, 5, 5S, 6)

Which of them will be the first to support 5 OSes? Maybe none of them, but I agree with others here that the 5S is a good contender to be the first.