Will the iPhone 6s be able to withstand more impact than the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetBen, Sep 14, 2015.

1. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

For me the Force Touch screen brings up a key question:

Will the iPhone 6s / 6s plus be able to withstand more impact than the iPhone 6 / 6 plus?

If you think about it, now there are more elements to the screen and Apple have packed more into the display, therefore it could possibly be stronger and more resistant to drops and cracking as its more compact.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is there any technical data on the entire display and thickness?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The display will still break if you drop the phone. The 7000 series aluminium however is stronger and more durable.

3. GadgetBen thread starter macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Thanks Gav, I was hoping for a more technical discussion on the screen! I know the phone will still be breakable.

The Force Touch display has more combined layers than the 6 display, so it must be able to withstand more of an impact to the glass.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Conversely you're talking about a mechanism that determine's pressure, I wouldn't be surprised to expect it to be more fragile then the prior model.

To put it another way, its more complex and increasing complexity typically makes things fragile, not stronger.

5. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

It's like how cars used to have few moving parts, thus were stronger, more reliable and easier to fix.

Modern cars have many more moving parts, on-board computers etc and deliver efficiency - but if something goes wrong, it needs to be plugged into a computer to be diagnosed, you can't always just fix it yourself now.

3D Touch will definitely add layers of complexity and there will be more that can go wrong - but hopefully, Apple will have taken this into account in the construction process.

The teardowns will be interesting on this.

6. GadgetBen thread starter macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

In theory though if you have an object with more layers and you drop that object with a similar object that has fewer layers attached, the object with more layers should withstand more of an impact?

The 3D Touch display is interesting as any slight glass cracks may require the 3D touch to be repaired too.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also Corning says the latest version of glass has 2x the protection against drops.

8. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Hence why Apple increased the price of AppleCare!

9. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

its a phone. they don't last forever. it will start breaking around the same time you'll want a new one.

10. happycadaver macrumors regular

happycadaver

11. GadgetBen thread starter macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

How have they verified this?

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

All those layers add complexity. I am thinking it will be more apt to break now. It is not like they piled on more tough glass,but instead now have extra sensors, etc.