Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Seems like things are shaping to be that way. Can't wait for Sep 9th.

RUMORED FEATURES
  • A9 processor
  • 2GB RAM
  • Improved 12-megapixel camera
  • Same design as iPhone 6 (but stronger)
  • Force Touch
  • Improved Touch ID
  • Gold, Rose Gold, Silver, and Space Gray colors

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Seems like things are shaping to be that way. Can't wait for Sep 9th.

RUMORED FEATURES
  • A9 processor
  • 2GB RAM
  • Improved 12-megapixel camera
  • Same design as iPhone 6 (but stronger)
  • Force Touch
  • Improved Touch ID
  • Gold, Rose Gold, Silver, and Space Gray colors
I think it will be exciting for techies, and the general public will be somewhat excited, but not as much as they were for the 5s. Internal upgrades don't get average consumers excited like they get techies excited.

I'm really excited for it personally though, can't wait for September 9th!

Reactions: Cutiekitty92

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Every iPhone with increased RAM will be the best yet according to every forum member ever.
This. I haven't read of one person on here who doesn't want increased RAM. But with the rumored features, yes I do think it has the potential to be the best 'S' release.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
I actually think the 5s was the best "s" upgrade. It brought a lot of new features that were ahead for the time like Touch ID, 64 bit CPU and camera improvements. I'm very curious to see how Apple will make the 6s top the iPhone 6 and what it's defining feature will be.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I actually think the 5s was the best "s" upgrade. It brought a lot of new features that were ahead for the time like Touch ID, 64 bit CPU and camera improvements. I'm very curious to see how Apple will make the 6s top the iPhone 6 and what it's defining feature will be.

Same here. The iPhone 6 is already fantastic and added a ton of features that had pent up demand like larger screens and NFC. The 6/6+ will be hard to beat.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
Same here. The iPhone 6 is already fantastic and added a ton of features that had pent up demand like larger screens and NFC. The 6/6+ will be hard to beat.

Yeah I wonder how they'll set the 6s apart and what that must have feature will be. I'm betting it'll be force touch and a faster CPU.

Reactions: Flow39

grifftaur

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
I personally think the 6S will be the best. 4S introduced Siri which I thought was weak. 5S was also so-so because 64bit was meaningless to me and Touch ID was ok. 6S we'll get force touch which could have great potential, a majorly upgraded camera, and more ram (at least for the 6S Plus). Those 3 items are making it a worthy upgrade this year for those on the 6 and 5S.

Reactions: Cape Dave

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
Isn't every S upgrade (if not every upgrade) essentially the best model yet (until the next one comes out)?

I think the spirit of the question is asking to take all S-cycle upgrades, and in terms of the performance improvements relative to the prior model, rank them against one another. So was 4–>4S a better or worse leap/value/transition than 5–>5S, etc., and where do people think 6–>6S ranks among those?

I think 5s also represented a sweet spot because I expect it to age more gracefully than any of its predecessors, not just for internals but because of the 5-series screen size, which some people still prefer to the new sizes, and also because its hardware has been demonstrated to be built to survive a little better than previous models (and perhaps the 6/6+). None of the technology in it is likely to be outright abandoned soon (Lightning, retina, LTE bands, wifi and BT protocols), so it could last as the budget entry for a very long time. And, of course, it was better than the 5.

The 6s has the ability to "solve" some of the "problems" (such as bending and antenna lines on the back—two issues that may have been fundamentally related) that are probably not proportional to the amount of media coverage it received but are weaknesses nevertheless. Furthermore, a small but substantial increase in memory (1 GB–>2GB) would have huge implications for longevity [insert snarky reference to indulgent app developers here], and starting the entry level ($649) model at 32 GB would instantly depreciate the 16 GB iPhone 6.

Reactions: saintforlife

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
As long as it has at least 2GB RAM, I'm good. The iPhone 6 could have used it from jump. The worst iPhone release yet because of that oversight.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The 6/6+ will be hard to beat.

I was just thinking about that yesterday. I've been extremely busy lately and realized that the iPhone event is less than 30 days away (most likely). So in less than 30 days my iPhone 6 will be "outdated." When I had my 4S, I dreaded the 5 announcement because I knew I would want it, but I've been completely satisfied with my iPhone 6 and it still feels new to me, which my 4S didn't.

It's difficult to explain, but I honestly have no desire to upgrade to the 6S even if all of the above features are mentioned. That doesn't mean that it won't be a great upgrade and an awesome device, but I never left the "honeymoon" stage with my iPhone 6.

Reactions: Trickhot3102

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Isn't every S upgrade (if not every upgrade) essentially the best model yet (until the next one comes out)?
Haha, this is why I never get the point of Apple saying "The most advanced iPhone yet" or "The best iPhone yet". If you make a new product that is not more advanced or better than it's predecessor, you're doing something wrong.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I was just thinking about that yesterday. I've been extremely busy lately and realized that the iPhone event is less than 30 days away (most likely). So in less than 30 days my iPhone 6 will be "outdated." When I had my 4S, I dreaded the 5 announcement because I knew I would want it, but I've been completely satisfied with my iPhone 6 and it still feels new to me, which my 4S didn't.

It's difficult to explain, but I honestly have no desire to upgrade to the 6S even if all of the above features are mentioned. That doesn't mean that it won't be a great upgrade and an awesome device, but I never left the "honeymoon" stage with my iPhone 6.

Actually about 14 days from now, and release around 23 days away ;)

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-6s/

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
More RAM and bigger battery or better battery life efficiency. Those two things for me.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Isn't the entire premise of these releases is that it will be the best iPhone created up to that point? That would naturally make it "the best iPhone yet" due to the nature of time and technological advancement. I don't think they have ever back pedaled and said "last year's model was actually better."

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Isn't the entire premise of these releases is that it will be the best iPhone created up to that point? That would naturally make it "the best iPhone yet" due to the nature of time and technological advancement. I don't think they have ever back pedaled and said "last year's model was actually better."
There is a difference between "best phone ever" and "best S model upgrade ever". I am referring to the latter. They are not the same.

Reactions: Jetcat3

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I think it will be exciting for techies, and the general public will be somewhat excited, but not as much as they were for the 5s. Internal upgrades don't get average consumers excited like they get techies excited.

I'm really excited for it personally though, can't wait for September 9th!

I get more excited on form factor and design than what's under the hood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.