Will the iPhone be available in AT&T stores monday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Josephkyles, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

I was wondering if I should be at the AT&T store Monday morning to make sure I get one. Will they be available that morning or should I wait until that afternoon after it has been announced in California?

2. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

They may be available in the morning or it may be the afternoon, it may be another day, or it may be not at all. I would go ahead and get there now and bring food for a month just in case.:D

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I hope the 2.0 software is released monday and then the 3G iPhone released like friday or something, just so that I can use my check on it.

5. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Fate favors the prepared. ;)

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I would think that AT&T would have it when Apple stores have it. They may announce on Monday and have for Friday. This would mean they don't need to hide any setup (posters/banners/displays) that would go on throughout the week.

7. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Everyone is going to be pissed when El Jobso announces it for June 29. (Me Included!!)

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Don't count on OS 2.0 on Monday, unless they plan on the App Store (half of what makes OS 2.0 such a big thing) be empty. Developers need the final OS to even be able to build an App that runs on it, let alone testing their Apps to make sure everything works perfectly.

The 3G iPhone itself could launch early, if Apple doesn't mind making everyone upgrade their OS shortly after getting one.

9. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

They already pretty much have the final OS in the firmware betas that have been released.

10. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Man. Toy with my emotions.

Im planning on a 29th release. If I can even buy a new iPhone on-line only, that day, I'd be thrilled!

Just seeing/hearing what it'll look like next Mon, will make me happy.

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Which one? Every new beta of OS 2.0 they've released (including Beta 6 released last week) has been 100% incompatible with apps built for the previous one. If they suddenly decide that beta 6 is the final beta and decide not to change one single byte of it, *and* let developers know about it so they can test their apps and, you know, submit them...THEN I guess they could release it on Monday.

12. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

You should get in line....Now :D

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

A Sunday release? Very interesting...

14. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I'm going with announced Monday available Tuesday.

15. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

You guys are going to lose with V2 Iphone. I'm thinking way ahead and selling my phone now so I can get V3 when it's released!

16. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I love people who drop little gems like this into threads! :)

17. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

I think it would be weird for it to be available right away after SJ announce it. I'm thinking it would be out Friday or a week later. I'm off Monday so I would be at ATT or Apple store to get it if it is available :D

18. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I'd vote June 16th. I remember reading something about a vacation blackout at at&t stores beginning on the 16th.

Secondly, the iPhone is pretty much sold out on the online Apple store, and is at best, hard to find at the retail stores. I doubt Apple would want to wait too long to replenish their iPhone supply.

19. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

I for one cannot wait for the next iphone, i do not have one now but hopefully will soon. i guess i need to call into work for the rest of the week and go wait in line at att. ;-)

20. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Doubt there will be the same frenzy this time unfortunately, was good fun at iPhone 1 launch.

21. saxman macrumors 6502

Didn't Leopard get released before developers knew which build was going to be the final build? I remember something like that... If they could do that with Leopard, since the full OSX has a much larger install base than the iPhone, why would it be a problem with the iPhone? Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly

22. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

If it will be available Monday, we will all know on Saturday or first thing Monday morning. They won't just magically appear in the stores when it's announced Monday afternoon. They have to be shipped to the stores. No one delivers on Sunday, so they will have to arrive Saturday or first thing Monday morning. Then Apple has to believe that no one will open the shipping boxes until Steve takes the stage and says "The new iPhone is available right now! Run to the nearest AT&T or Apple Store and get yours!" At that point, every store will have to be ready to tear open the boxes like a 5 year old on Christmas and get the phones ready for sale.

If they are shipped to the stores before the announcement then someone, somewhere will post photos online.

The 29th does not seem likely to me as it's a Sunday. I'm guessing the 20th or the 27th, but I really hope it's sooner. :)

23. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

The question I have is, at what point is the software actually loaded onto the device? Is it done at the manufacturing facility, or do they simply build it, then ship it elsewhere for software loading and final packaging? If everything is done by the manufacturer, I don't see how they could possibly have it ready to go Monday, given that the latest beta was released only a few days ago. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never been much of a computer guy, and only jumped on this Apple bandwagon/hype machine when I watched the original iphone keynote...Oh, and also when I realized what a joke my Toshiba/Windows laptop was.

24. kleo macrumors regular

25. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I think it is a pretty safe assumption that the 3G iPhones will not be sold at AT&T stores on the 9th or even 10th, imo