Will the iPhone ever be multi-touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ss957916, Feb 26, 2010.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about how annoying carrying out many simple tasks on the iPhone are.

For example, I was playing a game the other day and wanted to increase the brightness, which meant quitting the game, tapping my way into Brightness, adjusting, then restarting my game. Annoying!

But if the phone was multi-touch rather than just 'dual-touch', there could be the option to, say, slide three fingers up and down the screen the adjust the brightness. Double-tap with three fingers to turn wifi on and off etc. etc.

2. army91c macrumors 6502a

Ummmmm, yeah..... I simply swipe my finger accross the top of my screen to open up SB settings where I can:
    turn on and off 3g
    turn on and off Bluetooth
    adjust brightness
    turn on and off wifi
    power down

There are many other things I can do that I don't feel the need to post here. So no need to make the touch screen multi touch, just JB and you can have your cake and eat it too.

3. deenybird macrumors regular

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm confused, I thought there was multitouch. :confused:

5. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it? I can't think of any times it recognises more than two fingers. (unlike my MBP that has three and four finger swipe etc.)

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The iPhone already has multitouch built it. Apple could offer more guestures if they wanted to but why would they when there is no need.

7. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Two fingers *is* multi-touch. Multiple. More than one. Two. I bet the screen can track more than two fingers and it's an apple decision to do what they do, why not submit feedback on Apple's site?

8. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a very, very odd thing to say.

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Why stop at 3 fingers. There should be 4 fingers, 5, 6, and if you fist the phone, it shuts off.

10. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want to get bogged down in semantics, but I would argue that multi means many (not simply more than one). You may care to read my original post where, to make my point clear, I used the term "dual-touch" in order to distinguish between the current input method and what I would consider to be true "multi-touch".

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The iPhone can detect 5 or 6 separate fingers. I've done this when messing about on Pianist (Piano app if you don't know).

Your suggestion, while I know is just a quick example, won't be implemented because it may conflict with apps that may use that gesture.

I think a solution is either the much talked about multitasking, or simply being able to access the Settings app from anywhere.

12. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

ss, it's not semantics when you're using the term different from how the entire industry is using it. Everyone is referring to two fingers as multi-touch. Apple, Google (Android), etc. Simple. Because multi just means more than one. And again, I'm pretty sure the screen is capable of tracking more than two fingers - Apple just hasn't implemented it to do anything (likely because they see it as too clunky on such a small device...). Send them you feedback!

13. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

14. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

The iPhone's screen is so much smaller than a Mac, yet thank goodness we have multi-touch. And now people want more fingers to interact on a 3.5" screen? :rolleyes:

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

I think

We might be confusing multi touch and multitask! I have played games that aloud mr to use 4 fingers such as tap tap revenge. Changing brightness etc thinking ts wants mutasling which is why I jb.

16. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

no, i think he is talking about multi touch, because he talks about sliding 3 fingers to get to a brightness option.

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Once you set the brightness to your preference you don't need to exit the game to make the change repeatedly.

18. 92jlee macrumors 6502

Would help if it was easy to jail break them, I spent 2 hours trying to do my 3gs, in the end I had to upgrade the 3.1.3 to make the dam thing start.

19. jbro1999 macrumors regular

it is easy...

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok. Here are 3 examples of programs where I can touch the screen with 3 fingers and have all the points recognized at the same time.

The iPhone is multitouch. There you go, photo proof.

Now, I understand what you actually want. You're asking for system-wide OS gestures. That's a good idea. But you can't just say "multi touch" and expect everyone to know that you meant "gestures." I mean, I got what you meant, but I'm not surprised there was confusion here.

Attached Files:

• 3-1.jpg
      3-1.jpg
      File size:
      50.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3-2.jpg
      3-2.jpg
      File size:
      38.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3-3.jpg
      3-3.jpg
      File size:
      49.8 KB
      Views:
  21. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

What is the first game? It looks like a game I used to play.

22. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

So the question is will app developers create gestures within their application?
    Or will Apple create system wide gestures with 2+ fingers, that have an effect ni home/springboard, or even within an application?

23. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular

I clicked on this topic knowing there'd be a Captain Obvious saying "thur alrdy is mult1tutch. What I wasn't expecting was there'd be 14 of those Captain Obviouses trying to sound smart by repeatedly saying the same thing.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Galcon
    (There's a sequel out now too called Galcon Labs. They're both good. I still play both the original and the new one.)

25. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

LOL, that's awesome!

Sidenote: Isn't it annoying when you're trying to take a screenshot and it tries to enable Backgrounding?! I wish there was a way to extend the time you need to hold Home in order for it to enable