Will the iPhone retain value?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slovig, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Slovig macrumors member

Hey. I was looking to purchase an iphone. I was looking around craigslist, and found some 16gb 3g's for 350, unfortunately I've come to realize that they are all probably scams. My next and only other resort, other than buying from att, is ebay. My question is, if I purchase a 2G 8gb iphone, what are the chances I could sell it for $350 say six months down the road?

Mods: Sorry if this isn't the right place, but I have no access to the marketplace, due to my post count being low.

Thanks in advance!

2. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Uhh.. why would you sell a 2g 8GB iphone in 6 months, when a brand new 16GB 3g iphone is only 300 dollars...

3. Slovig thread starter macrumors member

For the same reason I'm buying it. They are cheaper than the 3g's and you dont need a contract. I'm getting one, because I dont want ATT right now. And have you checked ebay lately? 2g iPhones are still going for 3-400 used. I'm just wondering if ATT will release a unsubsidezed iphone or a new plan in the next 6 months.

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Because the 2g can/is;
    Unlocked
    used as a PAYG
    not 'plastic'

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's hard to say... so far the 2G prices really have not softened that much at all. I think this is due to a few things...

- There is still no software unlock for the 3G.
    - The Turbo SIM method is still fairly complicated and requires the Turbo SIM itself, which is readily available but not from major sources Americans know (and also it's an added cost).
    - And the fact that most all the iPhone 3G's in the US are still on contract.

So I'd expect the market for the first 3G would definitely soften in the next year or so when they start coming off contract. It's much harder to say for the EDGE one. The reality is probably that there are still going to be a lot of people happily using EDGE in the US in 12-18 months (I don't have any really immediate plans to get rid of my EDGE iPhone).

But you can never really tell what will happen next. If a software unlock for the 3G appeared, I would guess it would have a fairly rapid effect on iPhone EDGE prices. Some people dislike the plastic, but for a wash in cost, I'd rather have the 3G phone with its longer battery life and GPS transceiver, even if I still didn't have 3G data services.

6. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

The pay as you go stops next month. And the plastic gets better signal. Less dropped calls.

7. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Since you know this, why the question?

8. 3kids macrumors regular