Will the iPhone support file (photo) upload via Safari browser?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by infosprt, Jun 9, 2008.

1. infosprt macrumors regular

I was wondering if anyone at the WWDC or on this forum knows if the new iPhone software will support a file upload via the Safari browser. If not would someone attending WWDC ask about it?

Thank you.

2. nateco macrumors regular

I would hope so.

There's a jailbreak app for that isn't there...or something similar.

3. infosprt thread starter macrumors regular

For me jailbreak is out of the question. I have a fairly large website www.iTeams.mobi that I created specifically for the iPhone and was hugely disappointed when I saw the phone didn't support a feature that I thought was a no brainer.

Many folks who use iTeams.mobi have iPhones but they have to upload their photos via a PC/Mac browser. For them jailbreaking is not a viable option.

I'm not keen on any kind of add in or seperate app to accomplish this functionality since I don't think people want to deal with that. But on the other hand I have waited close to a year now for Apple to add this feature and if it doesn't come this time then chances are it will never come.

-Al

4. nateco macrumors regular

I was implying it'll probably make it's way to the official app store.

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

It can upload to their Mobile Me service. And I'm sure someone's working on a third-party app with the official SDK to do it. I don't see why you wouldn't want to use a free/cheap, easy to use app that does it.

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

But there's no way in the SDK as I understand to build it into Safari - it'll have to be a separate stand alone app.

Which in reality means a different upload app for each website you want to upload pictures too, if they can be bothered to build one.

Highly irritating.

Phazer

7. infosprt thread starter macrumors regular

Possibly if enough people complain about it Apple might add it into Safari. I see they are working on Safari 4 which will speed up Javascript. Possibly it will make its way into that release.

I attended an iPhone seminar for developers in Los Angeles shortly after the release of the iPhone and they mentioned that they had had many requests for the feature but wouldn't comment on whether they thought it would get in. Windows mobile has it. It is has been a standard feature in desktop browsers for at least 7 years.

Possibly someone at WWDC will see this thread and ask about it.

Thanks,
    Al

8. hans123 macrumors newbie

Any progress?

If anyone has any further news on this, could they please post it? - (this thread comes high on Google when I search for the answer to the question).
    Thank you

9. supercaliber macrumors regular

is this possibly a carrier feature restriction?

I am concerned that this limitation is not a typical slow-to-release Apple feature.

That maybe it is a feature restricted by the carrier (AT&T) because of lame corporate interests like MMS fees and interests that try to protect other revenue sources.

Having this feature on the iphone is very important to me and my software plans down the road. I have a perfectly working safari app that needs the ability to upload iphone data, mainly pictures.

Does 3.0 have this capability built into the browser? Does anyone know?

Starting to get concerned and i am contemplating changing my handheld plans.

One other question if anyone is listening. Does the Google browser on a G1 handheld let you access the file system from the browser?

Thanks in advance!

10. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

They'll probably add that sooner or later, sooner if people complain enough for it :rolleyes:

11. supercaliber macrumors regular

so no idea about 3.0????

do you happen to know if 3.0 has this feature or not?

12. diemos macrumors 6502

13. supercaliber macrumors regular

no iphone developers out there?

i thought everyone became a developer to get 3.0 on their iphone, someone has to have tried uploading a photo using safari with 3.0

14. brianwestphal macrumors newbie

Devs can now use Quickpic to at least support image uploads in Safari

cliqcliq (my company) just came out with a new native iPhone app called Quickpic that lets web app developers support image and video file uploads from Safari. It requires a little code, but it's pretty easy to get going. Hopefully Apple will add this natively at some point though.

https://www.cliqcliq.com/support/quickpic/#web-app-integration

15. yngch macrumors newbie

I just upload my photo from my ipod using icabmobile web browser. :D Finally, I can upload my photo using ipod.

16. yngch macrumors newbie

U can upload photo using icabmobile browser

You can use icabmobile to upload photos. Icabmobile browser provide attach button so u can attach photo in email website and other websites that you want to put up a photos.

17. sfedor macrumors newbie

You can use 3rd party native iOS applications which are seamless integrated with webpage:

Quickpic
    Aurigma Up