Will the IPhone work in Europe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Paulickb, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Paulickb macrumors newbie

If I purchase an IPhone will it work in Europe - most importantly the web and map functions?

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If you're asking if you'll be able to use it if you are an american who travels to Europe: Yes, if you have an international plan. EDGE likely won't work, but there's always wifi.

If you're asking if you, as a european, can buy one in the US and set it up with a European service provider's contract: No.

4. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

Why not ?
    Is the iPhone locked to an AT&T SIM card ?
    If the iPhone is tri or quad band then surely it will be able to pick up a carrier in the UK with another SIM inserted....

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, the phone will be locked to an AT&T sim

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

for how long in wonder ?:rolleyes: if anything like Apple TV's OS it will not take long for some bright spark to tweak the OS

7. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

I remeber hearing in one of our AT&T meetings that it's a MULTI Year Exclusive contract I think it was like 5 years or so.

8. Paulickb thread starter macrumors newbie

I would be buying the phone from AT&T but when traveling in Europe I would prefer to buy a pre-paid SIM card from a local service provider and most of all I'm interested to know if the web and map functions will work roaming in Europe.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yes it maybe an 5 year deal but it's still just software locked - and i do not think i've come accross any phone so far that can not be unlocked to any network - lot's of the features will prob not work but still brings up the question of when will these thing's hit ebay accross europe at the start of July ?

for instance i would gladley pay £500-800 for one maybe

10. pr5owner macrumors 65816

yes and no

the hardware will work for voice, probably not data (almost every provider in europe is 3G or 3.5G)

the iphone is supposed to be "quad band" so it should work around the world if you can find a way to unlock it and swap sim cards, you should be able to throw in a prepaid card into the phone.

11. sananda macrumors 68020

there's only one network in the uk with EDGE (Orange). i don't know how the iphone reacts as to data when there is little or no EDGE about.