iPhone X Will the iPhone X get the Bokeh Slider?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PsychOK, Sep 13, 2018.

1. PsychOK macrumors member

From what I can tell from watching the conference, it sounds like no, but I’m hoping someone can clarify that for me. If so, I just hope this feature is something that is physically impossible on old phones and not another Animoji or Siri where they could have included it, but didn’t. Spending $1000 on an iPhone X and not getting a feature they could have included because they want to sell new phones would feel pretty bad.

2. fitcious macrumors member

Nope not gonna get it on X. I think the A12 chip is what allows that and the A11 isn’t as capable

3. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Pretty sure all the extra silicon spent on spent on the neural engine in the A12 chip is what allows this, and possibly some extra data collected by the new camera module. I don't think it's at all possible on earlier iPhones, or least not with a decent user experience.

4. treyhunnid macrumors regular

treyhunnid

Apple doesn't roll back features til its played out. Remember Animojis?

5. raymanh macrumors member

The app ‘Focos’ already does this on the 7+, 8+ and X. Of course Apple are only adding this to the camera app of the new iPhones because they want to sell them.

6. glenohumeral macrumors member

No way A12 is required to make computational bokeh...A11 is plenty powerful enough...

It's not included in iPhone X simply because Apple didn't want to...very lame

7. yungskeeme macrumors 6502

yungskeeme

Equivalent to how we were told we needed dual cameras to get portrait mode smh. Now the XR has one camera and can do it.

8. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Feature rationing.

A10 = Portrait mode, HEVC
    A11 = Portrait Lighting
    A12 = Smart HDR, Depth Control

Apple never backports new features for old phones because, why would they? You already paid Apple $999. They're not selling iPhone X anymore.

9. glenohumeral macrumors member

Depth Control feature that you can get it for free with Focos App and they want me to pay another $999 just to use it? No thanks.

10. Cryates, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Nilay Patel said on today's Vergecast that a person with an Xs could send a person with an X a portrait photo, and the person with the X would be able to adjust the bokeh. This is nothing more than feature rationing by Apple.

11. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Yup, we saw the same thing last year with Portrait Lighting being available on the iPhone 7 as a post-effect.

12. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Focos camera app is still much better than the bokeh slider on the new iPhones. You can even tweak the masking.

13. theanimaster macrumors 6502

theanimaster

Since when did the current Apple care about the user experience XD? They intentionally slow down devices so you're forced to buy new ones. You don't need a fancy chip to accomplish the 'bokeh' effect -- it can easily be done with what's already there. All it does is blur the background and keep the foreground intact -- which is why there are 2 cameras...

14. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

The Focos app does more anyway. Not only can you adjust the amount of blur, you can also change the point of focus, the shape of the bokeh, and the depth of field for front focus and back focus independently. It’s an amazing app.

15. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

XR can do portrait mode on the front camera because of the TrueDepth sensor array. This is the same case with the front camera on the X and XS. It would be highly improbable that the single rear camera on the XR could do portrait mode as it would be quite difficult to retrieve depth data from a single focal point.

16. lrsone macrumors 6502

lrsone

The XR is capable of portrait mode via the single rear camera. It was talked about during the keynote.

17. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

I stand corrected. However, it might be that the feature works by facial recognition instead of depth processing, from reading this article.

https://www.cultofmac.com/576167/iphone-xr-portrait-mode/

18. Nozuka macrumors 68020

They always need a feature to push the new phones. This time around it seems they were having trouble finding something to sell. So it is something they could have easily added in software, but decided to leave it for the new phones only ;)

Remember when the original iPhone didn't get MMS support, even though it only needed software changes? ;) (and you were able to use it with a jailbreak)

19. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Why would you give Apple more money if they'd give you the same newer flagship features to all the old flagships? That's their thinking and it seems to work for some. Will be fun to see the next iPhone to be the only one to support dark mode with it's Liquid OLED display.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It is all about marketing.

Like it or not, Apple does it very well.

21. madKIR macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not! There are plenty of apps that allow it, Dark Room, Focos, etc. Stop buying into Apple’s marketing BS.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2018 ---
    So is Dark Room

22. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

As performance differences become less noticeable I’m concerned that there will be an increase in artificial feature segmentation.