Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Are there any reports the iphone 12 will have 5G? Wil l they finally replace lightning with USBC?

And is it likely that it will be delayed due to the virus?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
There are rumours, and that’s it. All just speculation and will be for a long time I expect.

No ones even leaked any genuine iPhone 9/SE2 info really and that was supposed to be launched this month before everything went to crap in the world.

5G isn’t even ready worldwide, it’s likely to happen but it wouldn’t surprise me if only the Pro models got it.

The USB-C rumour has been ongoing for years, to be honest it’s unlikely to change on the phones. Apple just don’t feel they need it, as they’re not really meant for heavy work loads where an alternative to the Lightning connector would be beneficial. I think port-less will probably come before USB-C. But again, I’m just guessing.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
There was already a news story where the EU is trying to mandate USB C for all phones, and Apple objected, saying that USB C wouldn’t fit in an iPhone.

For USB C to happen, I believe it would require a legal mandate and/or a massive redesign of the iPhone. Not likely to happen this year.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Plus it would also mean (for a lot of people), docking units in cars, home stereo etc would need a dongle (here we go again) or a new device having to be purchased. Things like clock radios and car chargers/docks.

Reactions: SegNerd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.