Will the iPod 3G work in windows?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by noel4r, Aug 6, 2007.

1. noel4r macrumors 6502a

If I install a firewire card in my PC, will my 3G iPod (the one w/ 4 buttons on the front) sync w/ iTunes? I tried using a USB cable but it wont do anything not even charge with a USB charger. It will charge through a firewire charger though... Thanks.

2. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

It should. I have the same model and have used both the firewire and USB interfaces and they both work fine.

3. noel4r thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I dont need to install a firewire card then? Whenever I charge it using a USB Cable, nothing happens but if I use a fireware cable, it charges just fine. Maybe because it's currently formatted in Mac OSX Journal. Maybe I should reformat it using FAT 32. You think?

4. Rydther macrumors newbie

Yes it will sync just fine, i used the firewire port of my Audigy sound card. Cant recall if it charges, but I think it does. 95% certain (my 3G has been broken for sometime :( )

If I recall correctly, charging was only supported via firewire when connected to a PC

5. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

That's correct. The first time I plugged my 3g into my PC, I used the USB cable because my iPod was used and didn't come with a firewire cable. Long story short, I came back later to find that it drained the battery instead of charging it as I had expected :mad: Now I have a firewire cable, so all's fine :D

And you're right, it does charge from the computer whilst using the firewire cable.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The 3G iPod can not charge via USB, only sync. That's why it came with a firewire cable ;)

and yes, it'll work just fine with Windows.

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I would guess so.