Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neillustration

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Hi guys, new to the forum! recent convert!

I'm in desperatly need of a new ipod and am looking for some advice, I sold my ipod classic to buy a touch as the SDK and the 32GB convinced me. However, i've heard apple have cancelled one of the manufacturing companies creating hardware for the ipod touch and nano. Does this mean that the touch will be replaced by a newer model in september - this close to the SDK launch? I guess what i'm asking is 'is it the right thing to do to wait until september for the new touch?, or do you think they won't replace the touch and i should buy one now?

I'd love to know your thoughts

Thanks

Neil

trojanvillage

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
Toronto
Neil,
Buy it now, there is no reason to wait, 6 months is a long time to be without an iPod, as foolish as that sounds. The only reason i could see waiting would be for a camera like that of the iPhone but that may never come. I bought my iPod Touch 3 weeks ago and love it.
Take the plunge!

MLV83

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
whats going to be in the new itouch in september? Is it something new for the 32gb that they will be putting someting new in. Or higher capacity on the gb.
I saw in one website that this person was playing instraments whith his itouch. Can you do that in the 16 or 32gb, or even playing games in them?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
It'll most likely be a capacity upgrade (16GB moves to $299, 32 to $399, 8 eliminated from product line). That's just my guess, though. As far as hardware revisions go, I can't see them adding more than tactile volume control buttons, but even that seems unlikely.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
whats going to be in the new itouch in september? Is it something new for the 32gb that they will be putting someting new in. Or higher capacity on the gb.
I saw in one website that this person was playing instraments whith his itouch. Can you do that in the 16 or 32gb, or even playing games in them?

yes you can play the instruments if you jailbreak your touch.

xlopez

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2006
What you're saying about the games can be done with any ipod touch there is right now. It's whaty they call "jailbroken." You can google the term and I'm sure you''ll find out if you really want to do it to your ipod touch. I say go ahead and buy it, no point in waiting for a capacity upgrade for months.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The hardware could easily be updated. Faster processor. More memory, added functions (bluetooth and a small chance for a camera). Now that almost everyone is jumping onto the touchscreen bandwagon, the Touch needs to push ahead some to keep it's lead. Camera would be the sure thing, but least likely. Bluetooth almost seems mandatory given bluetooth in everything else PC-like that Apple makes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.