Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Not going to buy 15 pro except they "fix" the island making the pill smaller and move it higher, back to the old notch height.

Advantage of island/pill:
Those animations are perfect in key note to sell you the phone

Disadvantages:
Pill is lower than old notch, effective area under the pill is smaller than before

Those animation slow down a lot of things just because they need to let the animation runs and finishes

Must use two hands since the island is at the top

By the way I think they will keep the island/pill thing in pro series only almost forever. Regular series is for selling historical stuff.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
They didn’t add any functionality in the dynamic island by removing any other functionality so by just having the dynamic island it doesn’t automatically make the phone a “2 handed phone”. In using my 14 pro max I haven’t had much need to even interact with the dynamic island.

I don’t see them raising it in newer generations, but coming from a 13 pro max the dynamic island placement isn’t an issue.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
it's too high to reach on one hand so they have to move it higher?

since only screen area is touch active, the top gap, including the gap between the pill and hole, actually improve top edge gestures as well as dynamic island interactions.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Gsxr750

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2022
Not going to buy 15 pro except they "fix" the island making the pill smaller and move it higher, back to the old notch height.

Disadvantages:
Pill is lower than old notch, effective area under the pill is smaller than before

Those animation slow down a lot of things just because they need to let the animation runs and finishes

By the way I think they will keep the island/pill thing in pro series only almost forever. Regular series is for selling historical stuff.
This is what the third? 4th? Post you’ve made saying pretty much the same thing.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It won’t. Period. Even if the vertical viewing area is objectively smaller, it won’t change much if at all. And rumour already says they will embrace it on all models going forward.

gjamesm48

Suspended
Sep 17, 2022

Disadvantages:

The dynamic Island is better than the notch, hand down. You are looking for things to complain about and failing.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
The dynamic Island is better than the notch, hand down. You are looking for things to complain about and failing.
Agreed! Apple hit it out of the park with Dynamic Island. I’m sure this is only the beginning. I’m interested to see how the app developers take advantage of this. I lol’d when I heard the android Phones were already trying to copy it. I’m so happy with my iPhone 14 Pro Max!

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
It comes down, what, 8 pixels lower than the notch? And when viewing fullscreen video you get some semblance of openness and not a closed off side of the screen. In my opinion there is nothing to fix.

The island is the fix.

1663897702460.png

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
This is the pinnacle of first world problems.

giphy.gif

I honestly don't understand the misery this is causing people. There is some serious hyperbole floating around about the "issues" this is causing. If you want to find the most miserable tech people around, look no further than these forums. I think my favorite usage for this feature so far is when I'm driving. It's made navigating between music and Apple Maps significantly safer. Everyone complained that the notch was too big. So they make it significantly smaller and add some usable functionality to it and people still complain that it's too big. Some people are never happy with anything. Maybe take up a new hobby. Find something that makes you happy if this is making you so miserable. Or if ... year after year ... you keep wanting Apple to do what Android phones have been doing for years, maybe just get an Android phone. The features you are wanting now are already available in most Android flagships. They have pinhole cameras, some even have cameras under the display, high refresh rates, 4k screens, etc.

Despite the hate for the pill, everyone I've talked to that has the 14 now loves it. Marques Brownlee loves it. Lots of people love it. It's not going anywhere. People are ordering the Pros in huge numbers, so much so that they're reducing production of the non-Pro phones because people just don't want them as much as the Pros.

My favorite complaint was that it "cuts into video" when, in fact, the phone does the exact same thing as it did before with the previous notch where video is cut off right before the actual space where the notch is, so most of the time it's not even in the way, but with the option to expand the screen to full size if you want. And it's far less annoying than the notch was even when it's full screen, but that's just me. I don't see them getting rid of the pill anytime soon. Android phones don't have all the things the iPhone does in the front so they can't do a pinhole right now. You could be waiting years for another change, if they ever even change it at all. I'm honestly loving the smaller notch and the extended integration of functionality it provides with clever software.

There are a lot of awful things going on in the world right now. And this is what you guys are choosing to focus on? I get that this is a open discussion forum to air complaints, but look around you to what's going in the world. Shift your priorities. Find happiness in simpler things. Try to be grateful for the luxuries you are able to afford, the lives you are able to live that hundreds of millions of people can only dream of. Maybe instead of complaining about the phone, make memories with it. Share it with others. This forum is getting depressing lately.

Last edited:

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I just wish they would give us the option to use the blacked out pixels between the face id / front facing camera. I think the "i" would look more immersive vs the blacking out they have done. When you do get a dynamic island type of notification then it would go right to black.

I made a thread about this but no one responded lol.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021

giphy.gif

I honestly don't understand the misery this is causing people. There is some serious hyperbole floating around about the "issues" this is causing. If you want to find the most miserable tech people around, look no further than these forums. I think my favorite usage for this feature so far is when I'm driving. It's made navigating between music and Apple Maps significantly safer. Everyone complained that the notch was too big. So they make it significantly smaller and add some usable functionality to it and people still complain that it's too big. Some people are never happy with anything. Maybe take up a new hobby. Find something that makes you happy if this is making you so miserable. Or if ... year after year ... you keep wanting Apple to do what Android phones have been doing for years, maybe just get an Android phone. The features you are wanting now are already available in most Android flagships. They have pinhole cameras, some even have cameras under the display, high refresh rates, 4k screens, etc.

Despite the hate for the pill, everyone I've talked to that has the 14 now loves it. Marques Brownlee loves it. Lots of people love it. It's not going anywhere. People are ordering the Pros in huge numbers, so much so that they're reducing production of the non-Pro phones because people just don't want them as much as the Pros.

My favorite complaint was that it "cuts into video" when, in fact, the phone does the exact same thing as it did before with the previous notch where video is cut off right before the actual space where the notch is, so most of the time it's not even in the way, but with the option to expand the screen to full size if you want. And it's far less annoying than the notch was even when it's full screen, but that's just me. I don't see them getting rid of the pill anytime soon. Android phones don't have all the things the iPhone does in the front so they can't do a pinhole right now. You could be waiting years for another change, if they ever even change it at all. I'm honestly loving the smaller notch and the extended integration of functionality it provides with clever software.

There are a lot of awful things going on in the world right now. And this is what you guys are choosing to focus on? I get that this is a open discussion forum to air complaints, but look around you to what's going in the world. Shift your priorities. Find happiness in simpler things. Try to be grateful for the luxuries you are able to afford, the lives you are able to live that hundreds of millions of people can only dream of. Maybe instead of complaining about the phone, make memories with it. Share it with others. This forum is getting depressing lately.

Your car is pretty old, why buy a new pro with an old car?

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton

giphy.gif

I loved your response. But this guy continues to post wet blanket topics in an attempt to bash Apple and the new iPhones. It’s probably not worth taking him seriously because his points are convoluted and contrived.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Based on rumours the iPhone 16 pro or max is the phone that will reduce the island. Until it’s all together done away with in the iPhone 18 pro series.

• Haha
Reactions: theliellama

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
The dynamic island is the best thing that happened to the iPhone since The switch to the full screen notch design.

once more third-party developers start taking advantage of this new hardware/software feature along with live activities, the complaints will fade away.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
1) You cherry picked the widest island function
2) and it still looks better, lmao
3) We can agree to disagree but I will never think the top image is preferrable

WXE9krbl.jpg

I agree pill is better for 21:9 videos or full screen gaming, but other stuff like web browsing is all about the rectangle area behind the pill.

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020

Disadvantages:

Apple only changed the notch for the 13th: the DI was already available when they developed the 13th, but the middle ground was used to get customers used to the even lower hole (in fact the 13 notch is a few pixels lower than the previous ones).

The DI is a poor ploy: a key in the top of the screen is useless, especially in a system like iOS developed with all the commands at the bottom in the applications and especially with iPhones from 5 onwards, which developed in height and required Reachability and the editable keyboard as an option.

The DI will disappear as soon as Apple decides to sell iPhones without holes, in 5 years. They are probably ready in the labs but they have to sell garbage until they take the last penny out of customers' pockets.

DI is as passing as the notch of the 13: it breaks iOS (in fact iOS 16 sucks, it's all the opposite for the DI even on devices that don't have it), it breaks ergonomics and usability for customers, breaks compatibility with MacOS, unless they want to delete the menu bar from MacOS and replace it with a more complex DI.

iPhone 15 will continue to have DI in the middle of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.