Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
I was having a little think today, and I was thinking about the introduction of the iWatch which is expected to come this Fall.

It's already been said that it's expected the iWatch could go into Mass Production in November, that could pave the way for a late November/early December launch.

Now in the past, when an entirely new product category launches there's always a delay of a number of months, for the iPad it was 2 and a half months.

Therefore, since the iWatch appears like it's going to be an iPhone/iPod Touch accessory (E.g if it monitors health, the Health app in iOS 8 only runs on the iPhone and iPod Touch) could it be possible that it'll be introduced alongside the launch of the next iPhone which is rumoured to take place in September. It was seem to make much more sense for it to be launched then and not in October when it's quite likely that the event will focus on Mac and iPad.

What do you think?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
No it won't.

When was last time apple introduced two new products with iPhone launch announcement?

Like never. And the iPhone 5C doesn't count as a new product either.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
No it won't.

When was last time apple introduced two new products with iPhone launch announcement?

Like never. And the iPhone 5C doesn't count as a new product either.

I understand what you mean, but wouldn't that then mean the iWatch needs it's own totally separate event? Would they really want to hold three events for their products, because I doubt they could do Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod and Apple TV in one event and iWatch in another. However, it's quite possible that they could have a third event in late November to introduce the iWatch, however, this could miss much of the holiday shopping season so I would be surprised if they did it so late.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I understand what you mean, but wouldn't that then mean the iWatch needs it's own totally separate event? Would they really want to hold three events for their products, because I doubt they could do Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod and Apple TV in one event and iWatch in another. However, it's quite possible that they could have a third event in late November to introduce the iWatch, however, this could miss much of the holiday shopping season so I would be surprised if they did it so late.

Don't see iWatch for 2014. Most likely 2015. Google just launched android wear. I have the LG G Watch. Got it for 50% off for $115 or else wouldn't have purchased it at all. It's nice. But just not there yet.

I see apple using iOS 8 and "continuity" and having text and reminder on the watch. But honestly. Most people don't even use watches anymore.

Before the Lg G watch. The last watch I owned was a Tag and that was 10 years ago. That watch cost me like $1500 and I left it in the operating room table while I was working since I have to wear gloves. Never again lose a watch like that.

There is nothing on the lg g watch I can't do on my lg g3. Simply overkill at this point.

Apple probably is still working out the kinks.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Sure OP, it is certainly possible. But who is to say, really? They is nothing to be gained from this speculation.

Some people are going to say "yes". Some people are going to say "no". OK, great. Now what?

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
My guess is as good as any (rumor on this site):

I think it is a necessity for Apple to introduce the iWatch with Yosemite, and really the new iPhone.

In my opinion, porting iOS to a small rectangle with touch would be a massive failure. Therefore I believe we will see a minimalistic device that supports handoff features of Yosemite and the iOS8 release.

This means that messages can be relayed to the iWatch to be reacted upon, without actually using the device for anything that requires much hardware.

I can also imagine that, just like the new "extension" features of iOS8, developers can create minimalistic code bundles within their Apps to display custom alerts on the iWatch with the ability to collect minimal feedback.

This is like the new inter-app communication was demoed with iOS8, but of course they didn't mention the iWatch.

This also has the advantage that there's no need for a separate SDK to develop full Apps for the iWatch, but only provide "extensions".

This way, Apple ensures long battery life because no demanding code can be run continuously and harm the user experience.

At least this is what I think would be the best approach to introduce something that new, while others have already failed to deliver a feature-rich wearable.

(This is also the reason I believe that Android Wear will be disappointing once the cheap low-end devices start shipping. No, not the fault of Android, but Google has no control over the overall quality of devices.)

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I feel that Apple will alongside the iPhone (2015 Edition). Apple Watch 2nd generation announced next month and released in 2016. The issue with the current Apple Watch was that built the initial hype in September and it gradually decreased as the months Went on. The March keynote was essentially the same as the Septembers with the introduction of the 3 models and their prices. Launching the Apple Watch second gen around Valentine's Day or early March.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I feel that Apple will alongside the iPhone (2015 Edition). Apple Watch 2nd generation announced next month and released in 2016. The issue with the current Apple Watch was that built the initial hype in September and it gradually decreased as the months Went on. The March keynote was essentially the same as the Septembers with the introduction of the 3 models and their prices. Launching the Apple Watch second gen around Valentine's Day or early March.
Apple won't announce anything new before the holiday season unless it's coming out before the holiday season. you're just shooting yourself in the foot if you announce a new product coming out next year

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
There's really no reason to expect any new versions of the watch unless different colors or case materials are introduced. The watch is primarily dependent on the phone, the iOS software and of course watchOS. The hardware is unlikely to change for a long time similar to the changes in the Apple TV. I am expecting to see new hardware there. With the watch, maybe in two years or so.

rowdt1

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
The Netherlands
Judging by the share amount of possibilities how you can customise your watch it seems rather unlikely that they'll overhaul their production centers and introduce a new Watch so shortly after this one's been launched. Also, the Watch isn't even being sold yet in many countries that I find it a little unlikely. You can never be sure, but I'm expecting a two year refresh cycle that's announced in September.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
introduction of the iWatch which is expected to come this Fall.
Expected by who? I think now that inventories have stabilized and they're actually able to sell them from the apple store, I don't think they're about to update to a gen 2 a few months after releasing it. That would represent to the world a failure of the AW, so much so they had to improve it shortly after releasing it.

Don't forget, that apple is still rolling out the AW to different countries, why do that if they're about to roll out a new version this fall.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Expected by who? I think now that inventories have stabilized and they're actually able to sell them from the apple store, I don't think they're about to update to a gen 2 a few months after releasing it. That would represent to the world a failure of the AW, so much so they had to improve it shortly after releasing it.

Don't forget, that apple is still rolling out the AW to different countries, why do that if they're about to roll out a new version this fall.
Posted in 2014 ;)

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
There's really no reason to expect any new versions of the watch unless different colors or case materials are introduced. The watch is primarily dependent on the phone, the iOS software and of course watchOS. The hardware is unlikely to change for a long time similar to the changes in the Apple TV. I am expecting to see new hardware there. With the watch, maybe in two years or so.
Apple won't announce anything new before the holiday season unless it's coming out before the holiday season. you're just shooting yourself in the foot if you announce a new product coming out next year

While I defiantly agree with with "FrozenDarkness", as an owner of an Apple Watch there is truly no reason to release a new Apple Watch for another 2-3 years. (Something Apple has never done). However on a market, financial standpoint Apple will most likely be ridiculed by the media, shareholders, analysts for not announcing the next generation next month alongside the iPhone (2015 edition). Currently Apple is receiving backlash of not meeting Apple Watch sales expectations but exceeding their own personal expectations. Continued failure to release official sales numbers can be seen as a negative for potential, current shareholders as well as to the board of trustees. Apple watch considered the first product "failure" "Flop". Apple has taken pride in their sales numbers in high regards to the iPhone, iPad and Mac. From a PR standpoint no company wants to have a tarnished reputation. Wall street praised Apple as a "Undefeated Powerhouse Champion" since the return of Steve Jobs. The iPhone (2015) will most likely turn heads away from the Apple Watch and focus on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, iOS 9 & OS X El Capitan.

For "papbot" I also agree with you. Currently the Apple Watch's hardware dominated current Android Wear smartwatches and others. The only improvement that can be made to the Apple Watch is software. Adding more watch faces (customization/deeper custom watch faces & complications). Apple does need to allow the Space Black link bracelet available online 38MM and 42MM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.