will the June update allow the iPod touch to view video??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by grooveattack, Jun 12, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

such as flash video? Its driveing me nuts not being able to do that. Is it just a flash player that it would need or is it a hardware thing?
    Cheers.

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Strictly speaking, the iPod Touch already can play video. Currently, it's limited to videos using the H.264 codec, which is most commonly encapsulated within an MPEG-4 stream. This can include videos that are synched from your personal computer. It also includes YouTube videos if they're accessed through the iPod Touch's custom YouTube app.

There have been no firm commitments to add support for Flash to the iPod Touch any time soon.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Flash will come to the iPhone/iPod touch in due time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Flash player plug-in (assuming Safari touch has--or will have--the ability to accept plugins) was a free app in the store come July (or shortly thereafter). We're waiting on Adobe for that one, though...

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Last I heard, Adobe decided not do develop the plugin. So it probably won't be coming, at least not by next month.

5. Protosome macrumors newbie

Honestly, I can't believe that flash isn't already on the touch. There have to be some real issues between the two companies for it to have taken this long. I hoping with the update that the floodgates will be open and all the crap we have been waiting for will be available.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Me thinks that Apple and Adobe should work together to actually make flash work on the desktop version of OS X before they try to shove it into much less powerful handhelds. The way flash is on OS X right now, your device would probably blow up trying to play a video.

7. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

I think the bigger issue is with the way users will be able to interact with the Flash apps. Take the youtube video player for example. To play a video, there needs to be a way to tap the play button. To change the volume, there needs to be a way to tap and drag the slider. Other Flash apps may need to know the presence of your finger for those "mouse over" effects.

I don't know much about the type of input events the web pages receives from Safari, but tapping a button could be achieved by the Flash plug-in by converting buttons to links. Tapping and dragging will be harder because by default, that moves the whole web page.

I guess one way would be to break the way finger gestures work whenever your finger is over a Flash app. But this will mean a more complicated user interface. Imagine being zoomed into a Flash app and wanting to pan around the app. Two finger scrolling?

I don't really have a side to this. Being able to use Flash apps would be nice but I'm afraid of what sort of finger mastery you would need.

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

I am HAPPY that flash is not there, i DONT miss the annoying ads. and i rarely wisit flash based pages that i would need it for....

9. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Apple does not allow apps that run the background which seems to rule a flash player plug-in for now. This seems to be the reason that adobe did not proceed with development.

10. Micro78 macrumors newbie

What's the Flash issue with Safari on a Mac? I have never had a issue?:confused:

11. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

well, new update will support flash because I saw WWDC keynote which lone planet website running with full flash support on new iphone. if you didn't watch carefully, watch it again.

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I'm not convinced that it'd be a problem of not allowing background apps (wouldn't the Flash player be the foreground app, with Safari running in the background?) so much as a problem of not allowing a plug-in architecture (to allow Flash to plug-in to Safari in the first place) and not allowing interpreted code which doesn't use Apple's built-in interpreters (which would be necessary to use Flash's scripting langauge ActionScript).

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I pulled up that same website on my touch and had the same result.

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. :p

15. iPhelim macrumors regular

The poster was replying to this: "The way flash is on OS X right now, your device would probably blow up trying to play a video."

Is there really such need for all those exclamation marks? :eek: