Will the LG Ultrafine 5K Display work with the rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sbrown02, Dec 5, 2016.

1. sbrown02, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

sbrown02 macrumors newbie

Does anybody have the new LG Ultrafine 5K Display (being sold by Apple, although currently out of stock) and can confirm that if you plug in the rMB over USB-C it will drive it at 4K and still be able to use the speakers and the camera for video conferencing?

We're a home that uses rMB and rMBP and considering that monitor as the docking monitor but want to know if the rMB will work with it and also utilize its features of speakers, camera and other USB-C ports?

Thanks

2. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

3. sbrown02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, and I agree Apple's own website doesn't list the 2016 rMB as being able to use the LG 5K Ultrafine, however I assume they're only saying that because it won't output 5K.

That said, the rMB will output 4K at 30Hz so if you plug it into the LG 5K Ultrafine with it's USB-C connection won't it send 4K at 30Hz to the monitor and also use the speakers and built in video for facetime? I assume the monitor can play 4K just fine so why wouldn't the 2016 rMB work?

Thanks

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's a Thunderbolt Display, meaning the only input is thunderbolt 3. The rMB doesn't have thunderbolt so isn't going to work with it.
    The 4K one will work with both

5. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

You quoted the reference for the 4K display, not 5K.

6. sbrown02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt 3 isn't compatible with USB C? I assumed it would at least drive the monitor with a 4K signal over the 5Gpbs USB C connector.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

USB-C is a connector, not a protocol: The MacBook supports USB 3.1 and DisplayPort over a USB-C connector
    The rMBPro supports Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 and DisplayPort over the USB-C connector

The 5K display is Thunderbolt 3 only (which is how it manages to provide the web cam, and 5Ghz USB-C ports on the back), so there is no common protocol for the rMB and 5K display to talk to each other

8. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

im an idiot!

haha